How to know difference between implantation bleeding and menstrual bleeding?

DOCTOR OF THE MONTH - Mar 2013
Mar 2013
Question
How do i tell if it's implantation bleeding or its just my period
Posted Sun, 31 Aug 2014 in Menstruation and Miscarriage

Answered by Dr. Aarti Abraham 1 minute later
IMplantation bleeding occurs a week before periods, periods occur on time.
IMplantation bleeding is more like spotting, lasts only for a day or two and is scanty, while periods have full blown bleeding for 3 - 4 days.
If it is implantation bleeding, you will not have a period after a week, and you will have a positive pregnancy test.

Follow-up: How to know difference between implantation bleeding and menstrual bleeding? 9 minutes later
I was bleeding yesterday and it stopped while i was sleeping. And it continued bleeding when i woke up but the color was a dark red-brown and but the flow was not just spots it was like period flow and when i went to urinate, loads of blood came out. so i dont know

Answered by Dr. Aarti Abraham 8 hours later
Brief Answer:
REQUESTING FEW DETAILS.

Detailed Answer:
First please provide me a few details.
When was your last menstrual period ?
When did you last have unprotected, or protected sex ?
What is the normal pattern of your cycles , in how many days do you menstruate and for how many days does the bleeding last, and is it preceded by spotting every time ?
Looking forward to hearing from you.

Follow-up: How to know difference between implantation bleeding and menstrual bleeding? 2 hours later
Im not sure if im having my period now. Its really a heavy flow of blood.
I have yet to have any sex this year, just fingering.
I usually menstruate for a week, and im not really sure what spotting means im sorry.

Answered by Dr. Aarti Abraham 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
IT IS YOUR PERIOD, IF YOU HAVE NOT HAD SEX

Detailed Answer:
As you yourself described earlier , ' flow was not like spots ' - spotting means spotty , light, scanty bleeding.
It is not proper full blown red bleeding like a period, but is scanty , lightish red or brownish red.
If you have not had any sex recently, there is no cause for concern.
It cannot be implantation bleeding.
It is your period, dont worry.