How to keep BP under control?

Dr. Sukhvinder Singh

Cardiologist

Posted on Thu, 28 Aug 2014 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Question: I am on bp medication and I take Telma 20 daily in the morning and I am monitoring my BP level on regular basis . I get readings of 140/90
Pllease let me know
Answered by Dr. Sukhvinder Singh 31 minutes later
Brief Answer:
dont panic.

Detailed Answer:
Dear sir
Goal blood pressure at your age is 140/90 mmHg. If most of your readings are less than this level, no change in medication is required. However you must work on life style modifications to lower blood pressure further. These include optimal weight with body mass index of 23, avoidance of alcohol/ smoking, regular exercise, relaxation exercise/ meditation, low salt diet and diet rich in nuts, fibers, fruits & vegetables.
Variations in blood pressure are normal and natural. It increases with physical and mental stress. Whenever you measure blood pressure you should be relaxed, no exertion/ coffee/ tea/ smoking for last one hour. You must not be in pain/ under stress.
Hope this helps. Feel free to discuss further.
Sincerely
Sukhvinder