How to introduce formula feed to infants?

Dr. Arun

Pediatrician, Pulmonology

Posted on Tue, 6 Sep 2016 in Child Health
Question: Hi doctor,

I'm currently exclusively breastfeeding my 2 month 2 weeks old daughter. However my friends and family are advising me to start feeding formula or cows milk through bottle, in order to make her accustomed to bottle feeding as I have to join back my work and she may not accept bottle easily then in Nov when she'll be only 5 months.

Please guide me on whether and when I should start feeding her expressed milk and formula feed or cows milk.

Thanks
XXXX
Answered by Dr. Arun 39 minutes later
Brief Answer:
No bottle , no cows milk

Detailed Answer:
Hi
I would like to stress upon two things
1. No cows milk till one year is the worldwide recommendation.
2. Avoid bottles as far as possible
I usually advice working mothers to give exclusive breast feeding till 4 months at least .

After that you can start formula feeds along with stored expressed breast milk ,but not cows milk.
Expressed breast milk can be stored in refrigerator for 8 hours safely.

I advice only paladai or spoon feeds.
Bottle feeding is prone to infection like diarrhea and better avoided .

Let me know if you need more help.
Dr Arun