Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
183 Doctors are Online

How to increase the height?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

General & Family Physician
Practicing since : 1979
Answered : 624 Questions
I am 29 years old and my height is 5 feet 6 inches. I want to grow 3 to 4 inches taller. What do I do?
Posted Tue, 29 May 2012 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Chandra Shekhar Sharma 2 hours later

Height is determined by a combination of genetic and environmental factors. Human growth is regulated by somatotropin (human growth hormone) secreted by anterior pituitary gland, which gradually subside after adolescence.

Bones grow by contribution of new bone from growth plates at each end of long bones. After adolescence these get ossified & there after no further growth is possible. Thus height of males stops to increase further at the age 18-20.

I am sorry, to say that as you are already 29 years old, no further increase in height is possible.

Hope, I have answered your query.
with good wishes,
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Follow-up: How to increase the height? 2 days later
But I know of people who are of my age and HGH injections have helped them grow by a few inches. Please suggest.
Answered by Dr. Chandra Shekhar Sharma 12 hours later
Thanks for writing in again.
HGH refers to growth hormone produced by recombinant DNA technology. In my opinion growth hormone can increase height only up to 18-20 years of age. Once ossification of growth plates is complete, which generally occurs by the age of 18-20 years, growth hormone will be no more effective in increasing height/length of bones.
Some Orthopedic Surgeons/Clinics claim to increase length of long bones, thus height by applying traction. As all this is related with bones, you can consult an Orthopaedician of your area in this regard.
Hope, I have answered your query. If you require any further clarification, I am available, but if you don't require any further clarification, please close the discussion & rate it.
With good wishes,
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Doctor Now

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor