How to increase supply of breastmilk?

Dr. Diptanshu Das

Pediatrician

Posted on Mon, 7 May 2018 in General Health
Question: hi doctor, today mothers milk has gone down and baby is on formula milk. Wanted to check if mothers milk is less what is an best alternate: formula, XXXXXXX milk, cow milk.

We tried feeeding baby but milk is very less.
Answered by Dr. Diptanshu Das 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Please mention the age of the child

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for asking on HealthcareMagic.

The mother's milk is produced on demand. If the child is hungry, it will suck more and more milk will be produced. On the contrary, if you give formula to boost the child, the hunger will be reduced and the child will suck less and will get less than adequate feeds. So, giving formula has a disruptive effect.

I would need to ask the age of the child and also how long has the child been exclusively breast fed (if at all). Based on that I will guide you further. Formula milk is cow milk based. Cow milk is meant for calves which have a rapid growth rate. That is not the case for humans who grow rather slowly. Therefore cow milk (or XXXXXXX milk) is quite unsuitable for human babies.

I will wait for your inputs.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Yogesh D
Follow up: Dr. Diptanshu Das 38 minutes later
hi doctor, i forgot to mention the background. if you remember you where asked serious of questions related to child not urinating and mother milk not coming. i am the same. i closed that thread so opened the new one.

To answer your questions: baby's age 10days. we are still feeding baby but quantity is about 20-30ml per day only. as i mentioned in other closed thread mother had feeded her in intervals of 10-15mins for 6hrs early morning today from 12-6am. breast feed started from 6th day onwards only.
Submit Cancel
Answered by Dr. Diptanshu Das 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Cow or XXXXXXX milk is simply unsuitable for a 10days old baby

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for clarifying. Yes, I remember and can correlate.

You do not need to measure the quantity if the baby is breastfeeding. Make sure that the child feeds from one breast at a time and to use the other breast for the next or alternate feed. This leaves a time period of about 4 hours for each breast to fill.

Do not feed for more than 20-30 mins at a time. Give the feeds at 2-3.5 hours interval. It is advisable not to try to feed in between. Just try this. I am quite certain that there would be no problem with the feeds.

Best Regards

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Arnab Banerjee
Follow up: Dr. Diptanshu Das 47 hours later
hi doc, your suggestion is working well for us and now we are completely into mother milk only. My wifes Gync suggested few tablets to boost mothers milk along with food.

Our baby drinks more milk at nights than morning. her urine is >6 times per day and motion 3-4 times/day.
Answered by Dr. Diptanshu Das 37 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Glad to be of service

Detailed Answer:
I am really glad to know that. Feel free to contact me back directly if you ever have a health related question in the future.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vaishalee Punj