How to increase my metabolism?

Meenakshi
Meenakshi Attrey

Dietitian & Nutritionist

Posted on Sat, 30 Nov 2013 in Weight
Question: how to increase my metabolism? I dont eat much but still me fat and my tummy doesnt reduce.. I have a desk job and I travel 4 hours daily..
Answered by Meenakshi Attrey 46 hours later
Brief Answer: Exercise and lifestyle modifications would help Detailed Answer: Hi XXXXXXX Thanks for posting the query. The fat around the tummy is a very common problem that many people face. This is mainly the result of the lifestyle and professional demands. Being in the sitting/ desk job the body movements are highly restricted and as result, the metabolic rate of the body reduces resulting in weight gain, and fat accumulation around waist and thigh area. By bringing a change in the eating pattern and lifestyle, this problem can be controlled to a good extent. Try and cut down on total calorie intake and add the necessary fillers like insoluble fibers. This would add bulk to the diet and in turn would help in attaining satiety while consuming lesser calories. Include a lot of whole cereals, pulses, fruits and vegetables to your diet. Restrict the intake of the refined foods like those made with refined wheat flour. Avoid taking sugar in the diet wherever possible. Include good protein sources like legumes, dals, milk and its products and soy in the diet. limit the caffeine intake and also cut down on unnecessary sugars, like those in tea and lemonade. completely avoid the deep fried foods and alcohol. If you take non vegetarian food, then limit the intake to two times a week and choose from lean chicken, fish and egg white. You are also required to choose the fats wisely, control the intake of oil and avoid the fried foods and snacks. Drink plenty of water and other healthy drinks to keep up the metabolism. You may also include options like green tea and lemon tea. Buttermilk and tender coconut water. Some simple ways to improve, metabolism are: • Building muscle by increasing your intake of protein and moderate weight training. • Increase your water intake to at least 3 liter daily • Have 6-7 small meals through the day • Green tea and sugarless black coffee, do help in burning fat • Cinnamon helps in suppressing your appetite. • Increase your intake of fiber in the form of vegetables, salad and fruits with the skin. • Exercising and taking sufficient sleep. Simple exercises like a brisk walk, some resistance training and deep breathing exercises help in improving the metabolism. If it is not possible for you to find time for daily exercises then try and do it at least 3 times a week. Other days, adding extra steps would help. For example use stairs in place of elevators, walk to the grocery store, go for a walk with your pets and play some simple games with the kids at home. this would also refresh the mind and reduce stress. Hope this helps. Meenakshi
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Shanthi.E