Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
138 Doctors are Online

How to increase my height?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

General & Family Physician
Practicing since : 1986
Answered : 458 Questions
iam 25 years old. my height is 147cm. can i get more height. how to get. kindly help me.
Posted Sun, 26 May 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Nirmala P 4 hours later
Thanks for asking in Healthcare Magic.

It is hard to say if women can grow after 25 years. Because by then, the epiphyseal closure of long bones would have been completed. The growing part of a bone is called epiphysis and it is located at the end of all long bones.. The shaft of the bone is diaphysis. As years pass the epiphysis grows and fuses with diaphysis and that is the end point of a person's height.

Unfortunately, the epiphyseal closure occurs earlier in females than in males. By the time you reach 22 years, the epiphyseal closure of most of the long bones would have been completed. I am sorry to say that the chances of you getting taller after this age is very minimal.

In women the growth spurt occurs during puberty ie., roughly when they attain menarche (first menstrual cycle). Few years after that the growth is slowed down and reaches a maximum point after which the growth is minimal. We can say that that a woman grows taller for approximately 2 to 3 years after manarche, a slow increase in height for the next two years and after that the height reaches a saturation point.

Several hormones like growth hormone, thyroid hormone and sex hormone contribute to growth. Vitamin D calcium and proper nutrition are also essential for growth. Although growth hormone preparations are available to improve growth in children, they are not indicated for you at this age and taking them will only result in unwanted side effects.

X-Ray of long bones will confirm if your bones have fused. However protein XXXXXXX diet, calcium and vitamin D supplements may be helpful to increase your height by few cm Although few herbal products are claimed to be useful, they may not be helpful if your bones are already fused.

I hope this helps.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Lab Tests
Medical Topics

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Doctor Now

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor