How to increase haemoglobin and hematocrite levels in blood during pregnancy?

Dr. Rakhi Tayal

OBGYN

Posted on Tue, 27 Oct 2015 in Pregnancy
Question: Hi, I am 30 weeks pregnant and I have low haemoglobin levels of 8.0 and low hematocrite of 25.9. My blood doctor suggests I may need a blood transfusion if these levels fall more by next week. My gynaecologist suggested I intake protein as much as possible in order to keep the level steady. I am now taking 2 folic acid pills a day of 5mg each and iron pills. My iron levels are ok as are ferritin levels. I am a carrier of thalassimian trait but do not have thalassimian anemia. My husband is not a carrier. Will the protein help? Is there anything else I can do in order to avoid a blood transfusion? At what level of low haemoglobin and hematocrite will my baby be affected?
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 20 minutes later
Brief Answer:
You need an iron rich diet also.

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for trusting us with your health concern.
If your hemoglobin levels fall further to 7 gm% or lower then a blood transfusion will be needed. The baby shows a growth retardation if the hemoglobin levels are less than 7 gm% for a long duration. You will have other symptoms like giddiness, palpitation, etc.
In addition to a high protein diet you need iron rich diet like chicken liver, mollusks, oysters, turkey, chickpeas, fortified cereal, pumpkin seeds, soybeans, beans, lentils, spinach, etc.
Please feel free to discuss further. I will be glad to answer the follow up queries that you have.
Regards.
Dr. Rakhi Tayal.
For future query, you can directly approach me through my profile URL http://bit.ly/Dr-Rakhi-Tayal

Follow up: Dr. Rakhi Tayal 24 hours later
Dear Dr. Tayal,

Thank you for your reply. I have also been eating an iron rich diet as well. But, my gynaecologist suggested clean protein (in the form of powder supplements). I am also taking an iron supplement. Do I enter the danger zone at 7gm per cent. and lower? Is there any danger to the baby if I remain at 8%?

Also, my hematocrite is 25.9%. Should I also monitor this? How low is too low for the hematocrite?

Thank you again
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Try to keep the hemoglobin levels above 8 gm%.

Detailed Answer:
Hematocrit value directly depends on the hemoglobin levels. Usually we rely on hemoglobin levels to detect the danger levels. Even if your hemoglobin stays at 8 gm%, it will cause weakness and palpitation in you. It may not affect the baby's growth. If it drops down to 7 and remains there for 2-3 weeks then the baby may start showing the signs of growth retardation.
Regards.
Dr. Rakhi Tayal.