How to identify internal scleroderma?

Dr. Divya Agarwal

Rheumatologist

Posted on Fri, 3 Mar 2017 in Lupus
Question: How do you determine if a patient has internal Scleraderma? I have been diagnosed with Gastroparesis for sure but I am having a lot of other severe symptoms which is leading my gastro dr and my Primary care dr to believe strongly that I have internal Scleraderma. Systemic and Autoimmune dieases run rampant on both sides of my family.
Answered by Dr. Divya Agarwal 31 minutes later
Brief Answer:
it could be scleroderma sine scleroderma

Detailed Answer:
hi
one of the earliest symptoms of sleroderma is raynauds phenomenon, i.e sensitivity to cold causind pale or blue fingers .
so there is definitely an entity called scleroderma sine scleroderma.
however there should be strong clinical evidence of that, like interstetial lung disease, digital ulcers, gastroparesis and esophageal dysmotility,and others like pulmonary hypertension.
others are immunological tests, ANA and scl70 if positive also hold significance.
so if the doctors are considering this diagnosis, they would probably like to look at other organs like lung -pulmonary function tests, and heart with a 2D echo.
so it is going to be a clinical diagnosis based on all these.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad