How to identify an HIV rash?

Dr. Prof. Kunal Saha

Posted on Fri, 16 Dec 2016 in HIV and AIDS
Question: Hi doctor, I have a couple of rashes on my face and wanted to check if they are hiv rashes or not. How can I distinguish between normal and hiv rash?
Answered by Dr. Prof. Kunal Saha 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Likely to be due to a fungal infection.

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for asking on HealthcareMagic.

I have gone through your query and have checked the attached images. I understand your concerns. However, I would like to assure you that there is nothing called HIV rash. If you have had high risk unprotected sex in the past, you should get yourself tested. If you did not have high risk behaviour in the past, you need not worry anyway.

The rashes could be due to a fungal infection. If that is the case, application of candid (clotrimazole) lotion topically should provide relief. However, the images are of low resolution and it is hard to understand the nature of the rash. A highter resolution clear picture would be appreciated.

Follow up: Dr. Prof. Kunal Saha 8 hours later
Hi Doctor

Thanks for your response. My "rash" now has acne in it. Does it qualify as rash now?

Answered by Dr. Prof. Kunal Saha 3 hours later
Brief Answer:
Apply mupirocin or any other antibiotic ointment.

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for writing back. It is probably an infected sebaceous cyst. Sometimes the opening of oil secreting sebaceous glands gets blocked and the secretions get collected inside, subsequently getting infected. Applying mupirocin ointment should help in their resolution.