Get your health question answered instantly from our pool of 18000+ doctors from over 80 specialties

123 Doctors Online
Doctor Image
Dr. Andrew Rynne

Family Physician

Exp 50 years

I will be looking into your question and guiding you through the process. Please write your question below.

How to help an alcoholic stop drinking?

Answered by
Dr. Jonas Sundarakumar


Practicing since :2003

Answered : 2190 Questions

Posted on Mon, 31 Dec 2012 in Mental Health
Question: My father is 65yrs old and a severe alcoholic. He retired as an accounts officer from a reputed company in South India. We, family members, tried many options to get him out of this problem, including admitting to hospitals or holistic healing center, changing places of stay, sending him for job several times to keep him busy, a mediator(close relative) speaking to him etc . He is again going back to same condition and all our trials are in vain. We want some help bring him back to life, because we cant handle the problems he creates for us. He does malpractices to get money.We have always tried to be with him, but looks like he should be put in some healing center force fully (like an ashram) until he is permanently coming back to life. What is your opinion about this? Do you suggest any place?
Answered by Dr. Jonas Sundarakumar 52 minutes later
Hello and welcome to Healthcare Magic.

I understand that it can be very distressing to deal with a family member who is addicted to alcohol and who refuses to take any steps to change himself. Now, almost all people who are addicted to alcohol or any other substance have already been told enough number of times by their relatives and friends to stop or cut down the habit. But remember, the very definition of 'addiction' implies that the person has lost control over himself and is unable to stop or control the habit, despite knowing that it can cause him harmful consequences.

Now, at the same time, this does not mean that there is no way out. There are a lot of people who have been in the same state as your dad but have been able to overcome this problem eventually. Now, regarding the treatment of any addiction problem, it is important to understand that one of the key factors in success is to get the person motivated internally. Even if he is compelled to get admitted in any de-addiction centre or is put in any ashram, unless he is made to realize, understand, and develop an XXXXXXX self-motivation, the benefits may not be long-lasting.

I would suggest that you try admitting him in a proper de-addiction centre for atleast a month, where he will not have an opportunity to drink but also will get rigorous treatment and intensive counselling. This would not be like his previous hospital admissions where he is admitted for a few days, put on some medication, sent home, and he probably stops the medication and starts drinking again. There are specialized de-addiction centres like NIMHANS, Bangalore, TTK, Chennai, etc. where intensive and well-structured de-addiction programmes are being done.

There are specific an targetted psychological therapies like Motivational Enhancement Therapy, Cognitive Behavioural Therapy, Aversion Therapy, Hypnotherapy, etc. which often give good results. Through these psychological therapies, the psychiatrist establishes a good rapport with the patient, gradually wins his confidence, and then in a skilled and professional manner, he is made to understand his situation and realize that it is time for change. His motivation is gradually enhanced and he is taught skills how to prevent relapses and how to adjust / modify his lifestyle accordingly. In addition, there are medication which can reduce the 'craving' i.e. the urge or desire to keep taking the substance called anti-craving agents. There are other medication called detterent medication, like Disulfiram, which can also help him develop an aversion towards alcohol and stay away it. Also, certain mood-stabilizing medication like Carbamazepine and Valproate can help in reducing his impulsivity and mood fluctuations, which may be causing him to have this kind of fluctuating drinking pattern.

So, my opinion is that even if you are planning to forcefully put him in a centre, it would be better to put him in de-addiction centre, where he will also get the benefit of treatment. This will maximise his chance of recovery.

Wish you all the best.

- Dr. Jonas Sundarakumar
Consultant Psychiatrist
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Chakravarthy Mazumdar

The User accepted the expert's answer

Share on
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions ,   ,   ,  
Drug/Medication ,  
Treatment/Therapy ,  

Recent questions on  Carbamazepine

doctor1 MD

I have been suffering from electric shock type pains in the back of my head and top of my neck, i have seen my gp and he has perscribed carbamazepine and says it may be trigeminal neuralgia yet everything i have read says the pain would be in my face or side of my head, should i seek another opinion?

doctor1 MD

Hi last August I had a sinus infection together with what felt like an explosion in my head. This happened 2 months after being put on a second blood pressure tablet and after a course of antibiotics. I had an intense pressure in my head and ears. The problem is still on going and I have had two MRI scans and been cleared through ENT, the second MRI was to look closer at the Trigeminal Nerve (am on Carbamazepine) but all seems normal. The sensations (difficult to discribe) down my right side of my head mainly seem to be coming from the temple area. The neurologist has passed me back to my doctor but said in his letter that they could refer me back to him if needed! I still have not had any real diagnosis. Can you help me please?

doctor1 MD

dose carbazapine effect your sex life???? what is avena sativa?

doctor1 MD

whats the best way to handle my trigeminal nerve post shingles symptoms

doctor1 MD

i am in need of a rx do you do that its know becbs i have a doctor , that i started with in may an i have always been on lyrics 100mg tis instead she whats and has me take tegeretol and it making me ick with my adrenal i take dos she saodcsee ifr...

doctor1 MD

Dear sir; I would like to inquire - in brief - about your kind opinion and possible management you can offer to a patient with the following history: - A 37 yr. old male ( Amer Jaleel ) with chronic complain of cervical pain posteriorly that was most noted in 2007. It is radiated to both shoulders and arms in association with chest tightness. X-rays at that time revealed straightening of cervical spines indicating muscles spasm. The condition progressed in severity and , in 2010, neurophysiological study revealed C6,7 root lesion bilaterally more on left C6 root. CT and MRI revealed C4/5 and C5/6 spondylosis with marginal posterior osteophyte and disc bulging causing mild to moderate mass effect on thecal sac and cervical spinal cord. Treatment prescribed by many specialists on repeated visits from the start of the condition includes: steroids, NSIADs, muscle relaxants, Microlactin®, and treatment for the associated neuropathy ( carbamazepine, gabapentin,..etc) without significant improvement. One more point to mention about this patient. He has family history of similar condition affecting his uncle. Moreover; his son has attacks of spasm affecting his neck; which resemble ( as the patient remember ) the start of the patient condition in his youth. Note: 1 -MRI imaging with the report of planning the nerves and blood, with link WWW.WWWW.WW 2 - CT for cervical vertebras and X-ray, with link WWW.WWWW.WW Please can you tell me about the method for treatment and the cost ? With Best Regards Amer

doctor1 MD

Hi sir, My name is Bhaskar uncle of Ruchitha Age 7yrs who is suffering with struge weber syndrome, her right side brain was affected and left side body growth is also not good. At the age of 3 months she got seizures only for left leg and left had, and it was continues till her 3 yrs age. till 6 months back she was fine. from last 6 months whenever we touch on her left chik she is getting shock and getting fel doen for 1minute, after the everything is normal. Now we are giving dose Fresium 5 mg 2 times per day Tegretol 5ml 3times/ per day, Leveroxa 5ml 3 times/ perday. But still not better her condition. please suggest us.