How to handle delusions in a BP patient?

Posted on Thu, 18 Jun 2015 in General Health
Question: Hi my name is XXXX- 27 years old female. my father is a patient of hypertension for 6-7 years. He had been admitted to XXXXXXX twice because of paralysis attack and had attended by Dr. XXXXXXX XXXXXXX His treatment is still continues. I am an Engineer and work in an IT company. I want to marry my colleague. he belongs to a different caste but he is also Hindu. I have told my father 3 years ago about this he did not agree to this and still not agreeing. the reasons he give are rubbish- he says the guy and his family is forcing me to Marry and taking money from me since I am earning. I have saved money and spend on me and for my family but he refuse to agree. I have shown all my bank statements still does not believe and say they are fake. I had shown him the online account still does not believe. I have shown the statements for the guy as well his salary slips, ITR, Aadhar card Raashan card every thing he just don't want to believe. I think he has some kind of fobia because he stays calm one day and create a mess the other day.
Can I meet you with him and if you can see in case he is suffering from any kind of disorder.
please help my family is in mental trauma we can't concentrate on work my brother n mother also stays upset because of his behavior.
I have tried all the ways but he just does not want to believe. Suggest what shall I do. If possible i would like to set up an appointment with you and take my father along.
Answered by Dr. Ashish Mittal 20 hours later
Brief Answer:
Your father appear suspicious.

Detailed Answer:
Hello XXXXXXX
Thanks for your query on HCM,

From the detailed information you provided it appear that your father had developed some delusions. Delusions are false, firm and unshakable belief.

Delusions do not change with counseling or by showing any kind of proof to patient. Developing delusions are not uncommon after neurological problems, like stroke in the case of your father.

You can meet me in XXXXXXX for his treatment, as delusions shows good response to treatment with antipsychotics.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad
Dr. Ashish Mittal

Psychiatrist