Owl Image

How to get rid of sore throat?

Owl Image
Dr. Naveen Kumar

ENT Specialist

Question
Hi doctor, I am XXXXXXX from bangalore.i m 35 years old.IAm 5.8 inches tall and 98 kgs. I have no recorded ailments so far except for slight higher side of BP 130/95.i am used to Air conditioned lifestyle at my workplace, office and at home for around 5years.' Offlate i had got sore throat.i was taking fightox 625 mg three times a day for 6days.it was cured. But after few days, it has again started.i have been gorgling with wokadine gargle everyday.But i get only temp relief.During night the pain increases.But in day time it will be very less.The pain shows,up if,i swallow. PLease hepl me to get rid of this pain. Regards, XXXXXXX
Wed, 23 Jan 2013 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems

Answered by Dr. Naveen Kumar 11 hours later
Hi

Thanks for the query

After going through your description I do feel you are suffering from acute pharyngitis.

Acute pharyngitis is the sudden onset of inflammation of the throat, characterized by throat pain, fever, enlargement of the lymph node in the neck, etc. The recurrent pain is due to improper treatment. Antibiotics has to be taken for seven to ten days.

Meanwhile you can try the following:
1. Drink plenty of warm water – this helps in improving the blood circulation, keeping the mucosa moist and relief from pain
2. An anti-inflammatory medicines such as diclofenac or ibuprofen for the relief of pain.
3. Continue gargles with povidone iodine solution for the speedy recovery.
4. Once you consult your doctor, request for a throat swab and change in the antibiotic.
5. Also, avoid smoking/chilled food & beverages/alcohol/coffee/exposure to A/C till you recover

Hope I have answered your queries; I will be available for the follow-up queries.

Dr. Naveen Kumar N.
ENT and Head & Neck Surgeon

Follow-up: How to get rid of sore throat? 40 minutes later
Hi doctor,

I am indeed following ur advice.i m cureently on augumentine 625 mg with three pper day.so for how,many days will it be ideal for me to take such medication.? I am also taking allegra 120mg and alpain p for pain. Will the physical exercise help me to ger rid of this?
XXXXXXX

Answered by Dr. Naveen Kumar 9 hours later
Hi

Welcome back

Please continue the antibiotics for at least 10 days. Stop allegra, it will worsen yourproblems by drying up the throat and nose. Rest of the things, follow as per the suggestions mentioned in the previous response.

I wish you speedy recovery

Dr. Naveen Kumar N.
ENT and Head & Neck Surgeon