Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps

179 Doctors Online
Doctor Image
Dr. Andrew Rynne

Family Physician

Exp 50 years

I will be looking into your question and guiding you through the process. Please write your question below.

How to get rid of severe shoulder pain?

Answered by
Dr. Kulbir Singh

General & Family Physician

Practicing since :2010

Answered : 726 Questions

Posted on Mon, 31 Dec 2012 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Question: severe shoulder painI'm a 23 year old female that plays full pads, full contact womens football and has a job where I constantly lift weights of 10+ pounds over my head. About 4 Weeks ago my shoulder started popping and feeling as though it was moving in and out of place. Its painful to lift my arm above my head and down in the "pulling a wagon motion". My right collar bone feels raised up and outwards, my shoulder feels like ots stuck pushed forward, the bone above my shouldee feels more raised up and prominent, my shoulder blade feels like its moved down and there's a large lump across the top of it and there is severe pain under my shoulder blade, in my shoulder especially between the collarbone end and shoulder as well as down my arm. If I leave my arm at my side my hand turns a greyish purple gets really cold and starts to tingle. I went to the urgent care facility Here in town and they without looking at it and examining it told me to put it in a sling and take 800mv of ibuprofen (been taking 1600Mg to just make it through work) and that was pretty much it. Any type of movement now makes my shoulder have tjat feeling of popping and you can hear it.
Answered by Dr. Kulbir Singh 2 hours later
Hello and thanks for posting the query
I have read your query with diligence. According to the history you have explained in your query, it is sure that there is something not going to cured with Ibuprofen, the cause of the pain needs to be investigated. In my opinion there might be dislocation of Acromioclavicular (AC) joint of shoulder. The symptoms like prominent bone at top of the shoulder joint, pain in movement above shoulder level, sometime numbness or tingling of arm etc. are present in it.
There are also chances of some nerve injury because you have discoloration, cold and tingling of hand or arm. This is a matter of concern and to be treated as soon as possible.

Consult your orthopaedic specialist as soon as possible and get your X-ray shoulder done. If needed and advised by your doctor CT scan or MRI scan is helpful in getting to a diagnosis and rule out any abnormality in your joint.

Write back if you have any further query.
Best Wishes and get well soon.
Dr. Kulbir Singh
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Chakravarthy Mazumdar

The User accepted the expert's answer

Share on
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions ,  
Lab Tests ,   ,  
Medical Topics ,   ,  

Recent questions on  MRI

doctor1 MD

I had a mri scan on my lower back but they saw a shadow on my liver.wich I don't feel a constant pain in the liver area but I can feel a small lump there that seems to pull a bit when I move,and it aches there when I sit down some times and I am scared of what it might be

doctor1 MD

I have an ache in my calf that started last evening. I injured the knee on the same leg two months ago, had an MRI, have a torn meniscus. Was going to have a surgery but decided to wait as it was getting better. But last night the calf started aching and I wonder if it is related or could i have a blood clot?

doctor1 MD

I was recently told I have empty sella found on a MRI. Also found low testosterone. I feel very fatiuged and can't handle stress very well. This has been going on for 3 to 5 years. Could I have a pituitary problem affecting other hormones such as cortisol. Thanks Jim C.

doctor1 MD

Can HCG cause tumors on your liver? I went on the HCG diet for 43 days FEB. 2010. Went in for a ct scan for something unrelated and they found a growth on my liver. The size of a large orange. The doctor does feel that it has been there for a long time. Just wondering if the HCG could have made it bigger. I am getting a MRI next week. Hopefully it is not cancerous.


doctor1 MD

For past 12+ hours, I’ve had left side pain from left pectoral up through left shoulder and down my left arm to my hand. Sharpest pain is in shoulder, elbow and dorsal side of forearm. Some twitching in wrist and hand.

doctor1 MD

I had a discectomy and I woke up in excruciating pain. A week later a laminectomy to stop the pain. Epidural injection,Morhine, Dilaudid , nothing helps. Something does not seem right. My Dr. has released me and says it will take a year to get...

doctor1 MD

I have been diagnosed with spondylothesis of the L5 and S1 region. I have had an mri and x-rays for my back. I had an epidural injection(2) in Nov in my back which seemed to help the pain going down my legs for a couple of weeks. Unfortunately I...