How to get rid of scabies?

Dr. Kalpana Pathak

Dermatologist

Posted on Sat, 2 Feb 2013 in Skin Rash
Question: Hi, I am having some rashes on my skin, i think it is due to scabies can you tell me how to get rid of it and suggest some treatment and preventive measures.
Answered by Dr. Kalpana Pathak 18 minutes later
Hi XXXXXXX

Scabies is a mite infestation of skin where you get red itchy skin rashes over inner aspect of thighs, genitals, finger web spaces, inner side of wrist, forearms, under arms, chest area and abdomen around umbilicus. Itching is more in the night and usually spreads in other family members.

So basically the first thing in your case is to diagnose the cause for your skin rash.

As far as treating scabies is concerned. Oral ivermectin along with single overnight application of 5 percent permethrin neck downwards is sufficient to treat scabies. Oral cetirizine can be taken to relieve itching. A steroid lotion can be applied later to treat itching as sometimes itching persist even after permethrin application.

As far as preventive measures are concerned, do not share your clothes towels or beddings with others. If other members too are having scabies, everybody should undergo treatment to prevent further spread of infection.

To help you further, kindly upload an image of concerned areas and also let me know if other members in your family are having similar lesions; if you have night time itch and if the lesions are involving the scabies prone.

Hoping to hear from you...

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad
Follow up: Dr. Kalpana Pathak 49 minutes later
can you suggest some ointment which contains the 5 percent of permethrin.what is oral ivermectin and oral cetirizine
Answered by Dr. Kalpana Pathak 46 minutes later
Hi XXXXXXX

Oral ivermectin is an oral drug (Tablet) to treat scabies and kills the mite thus helpful in treatment of scabies.

Cetirizine is an oral anti allergic tablet used to relieve itching due to any cause. It is also commonly used for hives and common cold.

5 percent permethrin is available as permite/ permarid/ scabenil cream and lotion.

As these are prescription drugs, it is always in a patient's interest to remain in follow up of a dermatologist nearby.

Hope that answers your query. Take care.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Shanthi.E