How to get rid of pimples?

Dr. Geetika Paul

Dermatologist

Posted on Mon, 2 Dec 2013 in Acne
Question: How to prevent pimplel and get rid of post pimple marks. Duration - since 3 months Frequency - Frequent Mdication tried - Vicco turmeric, Aloevera gel and sandl wood paste Allergies - Nothing
Answered by Dr. Geetika Paul 7 hours later
Brief Answer: Adult acne , cause of concern. Detailed Answer: Hi, I understand you concern regarding your skin problem and I hope I am able to help you in the same. Now your problem is regarding acne and acne scars. Now acne as we all know is a very common problem of teenagers but since you at the age of 27 are still suffering from acne, so it is definitely a cause of concern. As far as the treatment that you have taken is concerned, there is on doubt that it is totally insufficient for any degree of acne. You have just tried the home therapies yet and have not taken any medical treatment. Now nowadays we have many treatment options available for acne according to the grade of acne. There are various topical and oral medicines available. I would like to have a look at the grade of acne you have before we can jump onto any treatment. In mild cases of acne, only topical therapy can be given. However for severe cases, we have various oral drugs available. You can click some close up pictures of the lesions and upload them here on this page. You can also email them at YYYY@YYYY with heading as ref to Dr Geetika Paul. However you should for sure take Care of certain general precautions. You should not touch or pick upon the acne lesions as these lead to increased chances of scarring. You should use a sunscreen regularly with spf more than 26 so as to prevent development of dark acne scars. Do not use any oils or moisturizers over your face as these tend to block the sebaceous or oil ducts further and increase the acne lesions. Avoid eating nuts as far far possible, though there is seemingly no role of any other food item. Use gentle cleansers and wash face regularly. You can use salicylic acid based face wash. Avoid using hair oils. I am sure there precautions will help you in future. I will be able to help you more once you send me some close up pictures. I can then guide you more regarding treatment for the acne lesions and the acne scars that you have. Waiting for your response Dr Geetika Paul
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Raju A.T
Follow up: Dr. Geetika Paul 18 hours later
Hi XXXXXXX As requested, have uploaded my photo for your reference. Also, mailing across some more pics to you from my husband's email ID. Can you suggest some Facewash brands which are salicylic acid based? Also, i have been recommended to use an ayurvedic hair oil twice in a week since my hair is very dry and is prone to dandruff & Hair Loss. Hence, Can you also suggest an alternative if i should stop using Hair oil. Awaiting for you response . Regards,
Answered by Dr. Geetika Paul 3 hours later
Brief Answer: Acne and acne scars : need for retinoids. Detailed Answer: Hi, I have seen the attached pictures. You seem to be having severe acne and you also have many acne scars from previous lesions. Now in your case, systemic retinoids look like the option of treatment. You should visit a nearby dermatologist and discuss regarding starting this therapy as this needs regular monitoring, checkups and blood tests. I am sure it will be useful in solving your problem of both acne and acne scars. You don't generally need many topical drugs when you take isotretinoin. Application of only topical antibiotic like clindamycin helps. Now as far as the face wash is concerned, you can use something like sali-ac or saliwash. You need to use them once or twice a day. Since acne lesions develop in patients with increased oil production, so any oils creams or hair oil should be avoided. You can instead use a hair conditioner. As far as your acne scars are concerned, systemic retinoids help in improving acne scars too. We do have many other treatment options like chemical peeling, dermabrasion and lasers for the treatment of acne scars. Hope it helps, If you have any other query, please let me know. Dr Geetika Paul.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Yogesh D