How to get rid of painful swelling in the bursa of the knee?

Dr. Praveen Tayal

Orthopaedic Surgeon

Posted on Tue, 31 Jul 2018 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Question: knee bursa sac swollen w pain how can i get rid of it....I am a carpenter who rested it all week...with ice every 20 more swelling now....did not work for a week not better......thx have apt. with orthapedic surgeon wed 9-am....My dad is an orthapedic surgeon and so is my older brother....will amoxicillin rx help in case it is an infection????answer better be a good one. Im from a family of orthopods
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Amoxicillin is less liekly to help.

Detailed Answer:
The pain and swelling in the knee bursa is likely to be due to an inflammation rather than an infection. In case there is a collection of fluid inside the bursa- Can be detected clinically -then it needs to be aspirated and cultured to rule out an infection. Amoxicillin is less likely to help you now.
The inflammation needs strong anti inflammatory pain killers and local steroid shot to control the swelling.
Till then you can use a pair of knee supports and avoid all painful activities.
I hope this answers your query.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Regards.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.
For future query, you can directly approach me through my profile URL http://bit.ly/Dr-Praveen-Tayal