Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
192 Doctors are Online
Ask a Urologist   »  

How to get rid of pain due to kidney stones even after drinking water?

User rating for this question
Answered by

Practicing since : 1991
Answered : 1414 Questions
I was diagnosed with kidney stones a year back, stone size 5mm (i had severe pain). Doctor advised to take proper water and no medication required. Now i dont suffer with severe pain, but i can feel the pain once in a while. I cannot manage to drink more water. Do i want take some medication.?
Posted Tue, 24 Dec 2013 in Urinary and Bladder Problems
Answered by Dr. G.Srinivasan 12 hours later
Brief Answer: This is not stone pain--------------------------- Detailed Answer: Welcome to the forum. Stone of this size needs no specific medicine, other than taking water before getting dehydrated and change of diet. Stone management consists of two components. 1. Treatment of existing stone. 2. Prevent stone formation in the future. Treatment includes intake of water before one gets thirsty, roughly about 8 glasses a day. It can be remembered as taking 2 glasses with each meal and 2 glasses each with snacks. Water component from others like milk, coffee and food will add to the total quantity. Medicines are not very effective for stone expulsion, unless the stone is in the ureter and that too less than 8 mm. You have mentioned that the stone is in the kidney. Get your uric acid levels in the blood tested. If high, there are medicines available to prevent a specific type of stone, called uric acid stones. PREVENTION - consists of the following steps.---- 1. Water intake as already described. 2, Diet needs to be modified to prevent stone recurrence. a. Take plenty of water, lemon juice and orange juice. Milk can be taken upto 4 glasses a day. b. RESTRICT INTAKE of red meat, fish , salt and alcohol. The pain you describe is not stone pain, because it will be a different experience, though unpleasant. It will be very severe, and associated with vomiting sensation. Your pain is more of muscular pain and needs only simple pain killers. Hope it is clear. Kindly get back for doubts if any, Truly,
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Urologist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor