How to get rid of excessive saliva during night?

Dr. Bibhu Dutt Nanda

Dentist

Posted on Wed, 26 Dec 2012 in Dental Health
Question: Excessive Saliva is coming out of left side of my mouth since last couple of week. Day time it’s less and during night its more. In addition on morning, my lips are covered with a white patch. I never experienced this earlier.
What causes this? I feel like I'm going insane. I don't even have any pain in mouth or any gum bleeding problem. It's more annoying symptoms such as saliva that seems to be constantly in my mouth and at times I'm scared I'm going to drool, but I never do.
Is it a common symptom?
Answered by Dr. Bibhu Dutt Nanda 3 hours later

I would be glad to inform you that excessive salivation at night is nothing to be concerned about.
At night, during our sleep, due to emotional or physical stress we tend to fall asleep with our lips apart, it causes drooling of saliva.

But if it’s bothering you a lot then I advise you to see a dentist.

He/she will prescribe mouthwash/ medication to reduce the salivation.

I would like you to be calm and avoid stress related activities for a while.

I hope this answer was useful.
You can write back for further queries.

I wish you good health.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Shanthi.E