How to get rid of excess saliva and sores on tongue?

Dr. Pavan Kumar Gupta

Posted on Wed, 23 Jan 2013 in General Health
Question: Hello,
I have had a lot of excess saliva lately and have gotten sores on the side of my tongue from sucking so hard to try to get rid of it constantly. What can I do to lessen the amount of saliva? I went to regular dr and they said it wasn't an infection or yeast.
Answered by Dr. Pavan Kumar Gupta 5 hours later
Normally excessive salivation is temporary and generally harmless thing which goes of its own.
Excessive saliva can be caused by either an increase in your body's production of saliva or a decrease in your ability to swallow or keep saliva in your mouth.
excess saliva production may be due to
Infection in throat or mouth like tonsillitis or stomatitis 
New ill fitting dentures
If you have Gasrptroesophageal reflux
Certain medications like clonazepam
Rabies etc
In pregnancy
Bell's palsy
Sinusitis may cause decrease in your ability to swallow saliva

Causes of a decreased ability to swallow or to retain saliva in your mouth

There are many neurological disorders which may cause this problem.

Treatment lies in identifying the problem and correcting it.
However you may try the following things for few days to see the effect
Maintaining oral hygiene
Regular teeth brushing twice a day
Take B complex vitamins
Take more of dry salted products like chips salted sunflower seeds
Avoid spicy,chilly and sour products

If no relief ,then consult a doctor for diagnosis and treatment.
Best of luck
Thanks