How to get rid of dark pigmentation on the cheeks?

Dr. Rohit Batra

Dermatologist

Posted on Wed, 2 Jan 2013 in Pigmentation Problems
Question: Hi, I've got dark pigmentation on both sides of my cheeks, and only at the bottom area. I'm not able to say how it came about. Plus, on the left bottom side of my cheek (near to my mouth) at the said pigmented area, there is a dark raised lump about 2 inches in length. Although not very noticeable, it has bothered me. The raised lump is dark and soft to the touch. It is not mobile, and I am not sure if there is anything underneath causing the area to raise up. Can you explain what is causing this lump and how can I go about to get rid of it?
Answered by Dr. Rohit Batra 3 hours later

Thanks for your query to XXXXXXX

The lump in the photograph can result from an infection, trauma or reaction. Acne at the site can be the commonest thing. A closed examination and palpation, and at times a biopsy from the lesion can only help in reaching a confirmed diagnosis.
Any pigmentation has a component of sun exposure and hence sun avoidance is a must.
Pigmentation alone can be cleared with topical preparations like Modified Kligmans Formula or Kojic Acid creams.
I would suggest you to visit a Dermatologist in person for a confirmatory diagnosis.

Dr.Rohit Batra

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Mohammed Kappan
Follow up: Dr. Rohit Batra 41 hours later
Hi Doctor,

Thank you for your reply. Really appreciate. I feel relieved now after knowing it is not something life-threatening like skin cancer.

But, I've got a few follow-up questions with regards to your reply. First, I would like to say that you are quite right about acne. Previously I've had bunches of acne at the site of the lump. After it was healed, there were a dark spot on it, caused by all those healed acne. I thought I could try a natural remedy, so I mixed lime with water and applied the lime water to the spot. Sometimes I applied it vigorously, at other times, gently. But then, I did not weaken the lime solution with more water. Mostly, I used lime juice itself with a little bit of water. I tried it for a week. There were no results, but then, about a day later, the dark spot raised up and it became some sort of a lump. I guess it was my skin's reaction with the lime.

It has been a few months since I used the lime water, but the lump remained. It got me worried then. Could a reaction lasts that long?

Anyway, if it was true the lump was caused by a reaction to lime, what would a dermatologist do to it? What kind of procedures will he perform?

I look forward to your reply. Thank you doctor.
Answered by Dr. Rohit Batra 22 hours later
Dear,
Thanks for your follow up query.

It seems that you are suffering from a cyst like growth, which can occur in acne. Any cyst like growth needs a minor surgical intervention. At times injecting medicines like steroids in the cyst can help reduce the same.

A reaction like that with limewater as in your case could have led to inflammation and resulted in cyst formation. A cyst once formed remains palpable for long.

I would suggest you to visit a dermatologist in person and discuss the modalities for its cure which suits you best.

Dr Rohit Batra

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Shanthi.E