How to get rid of dandruff and keep hair smooth and shiny?

Dr. Kalpana Pathak

Dermatologist

Posted on Tue, 5 Feb 2013 in Skin Hair and Nails
Question: Hi, Can you please advice something on how to get rid of dandruff and keep hair smooth and shiny.
Thanks.
Answered by Dr. Kalpana Pathak 18 minutes later
Hi XXXXXXX

Dandruff presents itself as dry white flakes with slightly greasy scalp. However if the flakes are very greasy yellow in colour, with severe scalp itching and involves eyelids, face, hairline, ears then it could be seborrheic dermatitis.

Firstly, I would like to know whether it is just a mild dandruff that recurs after shampooing or is it a severe one with greasy yellow flakes causing scalp irritation. This would help me in ensuring that I suggest an appropriate treatment for your concern.

In the meanwhile, you can start using a ketoconazole shampoo like nizoral or keraglow AD shampoo every alternate day. Apply the shampoo over your scalp, keep it for five minutes, and then wash your hair.

Hoping to hear from you soon. Take care.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Shanthi.E
Follow up: Dr. Kalpana Pathak 1 hour later
Hi Doctor,

My concern is for a normal dandruff that majorly occurs during winters because of use of warm water. It get itchyat times and appears as dry white flakes.

Please suggest any home remedies or appropriate oil/shampoo for it.

Thanks.
Answered by Dr. Kalpana Pathak 1 hour later
Hi XXXXXXX

Thanks for providing me with valuable information regarding your concern.

To keep you hair, dandruff free in winters. Follow these recommendations-

1) use an anti dandruff hair cleanser like nizoral or keraglow AD . These are mild antifungals and would not dry your hair. Shampoo your hair at least thrice or twice in a week with the above mentioned medicated antifungals for two weeks. You can just apply these medicated shampoos on your scalp after diluting it with water and keeping it for 5 to 10 minutes and then can use any mild shampoo to wash your hair completely. This is required because dandruff is mainly because of fungus.
Once the dandruff subsides use it only once in a week and later on fortnightly.
2) to aid dandruff clearance one can also use oxyconazole lotion( Zoderm E lotion) once in night over scalp.
3) one always feels that dandruff is due to scalp dryness and tends to oil hair regularly, however surprisingly dandruff increases on oiling hair. So do not oil your hair frequently and do not keep oil overnight.
4) use XXXXXXX warm water to wash hair.

These recommendations would surely cure your dandruff. Home remedies that are usually tried for dandruff are

1) apply warm coconut oil over scalp followed by application of lemon juice. Keep it for an hour wash with regular shampoo.
2) apply XXXXXXX cider vinegar over scalp, wash after 30 minutes
3) apply sour curd and wash off after an hour
4) grind overnight soaked methi seeds and apply it over scalp for two to three hours and then wash off

Frankly speaking, I would advocate use of medicated products over home remedies. Home remedies can be tried as maintenance therapies or as an adjunctive to medical treatment.

Hope I have answered your query. Should there be further doubts, I would be happy to assist you.

Follow up: Dr. Kalpana Pathak 40 minutes later
Doctor,
Thanks a lot for your advice.
Answered by Dr. Kalpana Pathak 52 minutes later
Hi XXXXXXX

Hope my recommendations would help you to keep your hair healthy.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Mohammed Kappan