How to get rid of bad dreams at night?

Dr. Susanta Padhy

Psychiatrist

Posted on Mon, 28 Jan 2013 in Mental Health
Question: Hi Doctor,

I see dreams almost daily. I often remember my dreams. I see various kind of dreams, very strange at times.

I lost my grandfather 2 years back. He was around 95. I was very insecure for him. Many years before he died, I saw him dying in my dreams. Now after he is no more, i still see him very frequently in my dreams.

Today i saw my grand mother's sister who died 7-8 years back. she too appears once in six months in my dreams. Today she was trying to tell me how one gets XXXXXXX Yesterday night I was sad, I had a fight and was crying before I slept. Do I see the ones who are no more in my dreams if I am upset?

I see so many people in my dreams, my school mates, room mates, college mates, sometimes neighbors , some times thieves, some times animals. I also see the our family gurus in my dreams.

I always take things lightly. It is a daily affair for me to see dreams. I always ignore but today I felt may be there is a reason to my dreams.

Last month I saw in my dreams my father involved in some risky activities. Some criminals, some murders, shootings etc. Such dreams make me feel uncomfortable.

I also saw my uncle's death twice these days. I communicated this to my uncle and told him to take care.

Often I saw myself in a difficult situation. I am changing clothes and door has holes. I am going to Loo but it is in open. These kind of insecure dreams for me happens very frequently- twice in a month at least.

I am very normal. I go to office, involve myself in hobbies, spend time with my family, not a materialistic person.

Please advise,

XXXXXXX

Answered by Dr. Susanta Padhy 5 hours later
Dear XXXXXXX

Thank you for an elaborated description in your query.

Dreams are normal. And dreams need to be understood and dealt with:
- When dreams are associated with distress;
- When it becomes excessive and frequent;
- When there is preoccupation with dreams (as you mentioned that you cried before sleep;
- When dream disrupts sleep frequently;
- When dream associated with intense anxiety or night mare or night terror, etc.

Usually dreams that are horrific or associated with aggression / violence - it may be a reflection of your underlying suppressed / repressed anger towards someone who is important / close to you.

Dreams like "a hole in door when you are in loo" might be related to a kind of feeling insecure sexually or may be sometimes in your life you might have been misbehaved by a male in some form or other etc

Frequent dreams of dead beloved persons can be an expression of incomplete resolution of grief (as in your case, following death of your grand parent), or maybe you are in some kind of emotionally disadvantageous / emotionally insecure situation, after losing them.

Overall, I think, if you are really distressed with these, you can have a professional consultation where your life trajectory will be listened to, understood, and perhaps then will be explained

If you feel like, you can have a mobile counselling call via XXXXXXX requested for myself or any for other professional you wish to.

Hope, I was of some help to your concern. Let me know if you need further assistance.

Wish you a good health...

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad