How to get rid of acne and black spots?

Dr. Kruti

Dermatologist

Posted on Fri, 4 Jan 2013 in Acne
Question: Hello, im from a black complexion.since end of last year, i started getting acneagain after years of remission. I had acne from age of 12 to 23.
This time, i tried a peeling my dermatologist prescribed me years ago, but i just cant get rid of all the black spots. Moreover, i noticed 4 months ago that i get more pimples few days after my ovulation (im trying to conceive) and it stays dirty like that till my periods. So this givememore acne thusmore black heads dark spots.
Ive tried otc products to lighten the spots, such as Makari or Bio Clair, but it doesnt always work and sometimes just darken my entire face more than the rest of my body. I dont know what else to do.
I stop using any kind of soap or foam on my face as this works few years ago, just clean it with water, but it doesnt help anymore. 2-3 times a week i use a salycilicacid cleanser too.
I went to see a dermatologist and, after less than 5min consultation without even looking at my faceclosely, he told me that bcoz im trying to conceive, there is not much he can do as he cant prescribe vitamin A or retinoids.
Please doctor, what do you think i should do? This is so frustrating.

Thank you very much
XXXXXXX
Answered by Dr. Kruti 1 hour later
Hello

I can understand your concern.

Acne can be very distressing for a person.

Since you are trying to conceive we do have to exercise caution in terms of using retinoid for sure.

But there are other medications which can be safely used.

I would recommend that you use the salicylic acid cleanser twice daily. It would help greatly to control your acne.

Also you can apply clindamycin gel twice a day on the acne. This will resolve the acne. You will need a prescription for the same.

Once the acne is controlled, the dark marks can be controlled. Glycolic acid cream can be used on dark marks every night, however I would recommend its use only if you haven't conceived to be on the safer side.

This cream will also require a prescription from your doctor.

Hope you do not pick on the lesions as that can lead to dark marks and scars.

Hope my recommendations are helpful.

Please let me know if I can address any other concerns for you.

Regards.
Follow up: Dr. Kruti 22 hours later
Thanks very much Doctor.
Okay, i will go with my salycilic acid cleanser tice a day now. I do go for a facial care at a Yves Rocher SPA once a month where they do extraction of my black heads. Just noticed that after that, i have black scars that take weeks to disappear.
I do not pick on my pimples.

I tried glycolic acid last year and not only i broke out more, but i even got burned. My faced just turned totally black for weeks. Same thing with Proactive which burned me so bad that it took me months to go back to my almost complexion. Actually i havent fully recover my complexion since then. My face skin is very sensitive.

I tried to go natural with baking soda shrub and lemon, but got burned after few use.

I do feel like the Makari body milk i use is a little oily. Do you think this can help moisturize my face?

Thanks again Doctor.

XXXXXXX

Answered by Dr. Kruti 8 hours later
Hello

Thanks for replying.

Right now your skin seems to be very sensitive.

I would suggest you apply clindamycin gel for the pimples and avoid any scrubs or facials on your skin for the next 6 weeks.

After that you can try kojic acid cream just for an hour at night daily.

you can use a light moisturizer like Emolene or cetaphil.

Also using a sunscreen of spf 30 will be helpful in order to avoid darkening of skin due to sun exposure.

Follow up: Dr. Kruti 14 hours later
Thank you Doctor, i will ask a prescription for clydamicin to my family doctor then, and get a sunscreen. Hopefully i wont break out after.

Regarding kojic acid, just looked it up on XXXXXXX and noticed it has vitamin C and retinol-A. Is that safe if i ever get pregnant?

WWW.WWWW.WW
Can i also try pure vitamin C lotion?

Thank you very much Doctor
XXXXXXX
Answered by Dr. Kruti 3 hours later
Hello XXXXXXX,

Thanks for your reply.

I checked the link you had sent me, it contains a combination cream which has retinol in it and it cannot be used when you are trying to get pregnant.

plain kojic acid is safer when you are trying to conceive but cannot be used once you get pregnant.

Its actually better to not use a lightening cream while trying to become pregnant.

You can use vitamin c serum for lightening the spots safely, but it can cause a flare of acne, hence you need to use clindamycin gel on the acne and once it clears you can use the vitamin c serum.

Hope my suggestions are helpful.