Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
143 Doctors are Online

How to get rid of acidity problem?

Feb 2014
User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Orthopaedic Surgeon, Joint Replacement
Practicing since : 2004
Answered : 5930 Questions

I am having acidity problem mostly in night time and I am finishing one GELUSIL bottle in a week.
Moving out from acidity problem, please suggest and help me out.

Posted Mon, 14 Jan 2013 in Digestion and Bowels
Answered by Dr. Saurabh Gupta 1 hour later
Thanks for writing to us.

Following suggestions would help you to moving out from acidity problem-

1. Eat your big meal at lunch instead of at dinnertime.

2. Eat at least two to three hours before lying down.

3. Avoid foods that are known to lead to heartburn, such as spicy foods, coffee, citrus fruit and juices. Especially if you eat any of these foods at dinnertime will increase your chances of having nighttime heartburn.

4. Eliminate late-night snacking.

5. Sleep with your head and shoulder on an incline.
You can elevate your head in a couple of ways. You can place bricks or blocks under the legs at the head of your bed. You can also use a wedge-shaped pillow to elevate your head.

6. Sleep on your left side.
Sleeping on the right side has been shown to worsen heartburn.

8. Stop smoking if you are smoker.

9. Avoid alcohol.
Alcohol increases the production of stomach acid.

10. Take an antacid when heartburn hits. You can take a proton pump inhibitor like omeprazole. Since this is a prescription drug, you would need to see a physician for this.

If you continue to experience frequent acidity at night, get this evaluated by a physician. He or she will be able to diagnose whether you are suffering from just occasional heartburn, or something that needs medical attention, such as gastroesophageal reflux disease, an ulcer, or a hiatal hernia.

Hope this information helps you. Please do write back if you have any additional concerns.

Wishing you good health...
Dr Saurabh Gupta.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Gastroenterologist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor