How to get rid of abdominal fat?

Dr. Vasudha Jayant Athavale

Posted on Fri, 29 Nov 2013 in General Health
Question: Hello Doctor My name is XXXX from India. I am 31 yr old and facing the problem of extra FAT on stomach. Sometime I feel very uneasy as my stomach is overloaded. But I don't have such huge thing. Also I am trying to reduce the FAT by exercises but it is too long. Please suggest me how to get rid of this problem. Thanks
Answered by Dr. Vasudha Jayant Athavale 1 hour later
Brief Answer: Consider health problems,diet, exercises. Detailed Answer: Hi XXXXXXX Thanks for the query. It’s good that you are worried about your abdominal fat. You are still young & the consciousness will help you to be away from ill health in future. To reduce abdominal girth needs a continuous & constant effort by your own determination. I would like to point out, that slow & steady effort gives a permanent & beneficial result than a quick /magic result achieved by drastic dietary regimes I would like to suggest you few things in this regard- * - Get a complete medical check up/ investigations to rule out certain medical conditions causing fat on abdomen. .Diabetes, high cholesterol, hypothyroidism (Specific treatments by a physician along with personal efforts will be needed.) * Digestive problems causing bloating& abdominal distention ( specific treatment by a Gastroenterologist ,learning good eating habits , balanced diet are needed along with other efforts ) - A regular high protein, XXXXXXX vitamin, mineral, low calorie diet planned by a dietitian. * -A regular exercise for a good physique with a special attention to abdominal muscles. - A brisk walk/ jogging for 45 minutes to burn out extra fats. The aim of diet & exercise planning should be - To burn out the fats - To develop strong abdominal muscles. * -Yoga exercises -especially for abdominal fat like XXXXXXX namaskara is helpful - Respiratory exercises (Pranayamas) -especially Kapalbhati, agnisarkriya, Nauli XXXXXXX are especially for abdominal muscles development/reduction of abdominal girth. * Avoiding stress/strain in life is important. * Having sound sleep for 6-hours minimum is desired for. Thus, a determined effort along with dietary management, cautious exercises& control of health problems if any, would help you to reach your goal within few months. I hope, the answer will help you to get rid of your problem. Any other query, I will answer happily. Thanks.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Raju A.T