How to get rid from itchy back and smelly stool?

Dr. Kulbir Singh

Posted on Mon, 11 Feb 2013 in Digestion and Bowels
Question: Hi,when i wipe my backside it smells sort of fishy,and my backside itches quite alot.six months ago a slept with a woman who had this problem and thats when the fishy smell started.now my backside itches quite alot.i have been to the doctors and gave him a stool sample but when they tested it for bugs and stuff nothing was found.can you help?
Answered by Dr. Kulbir Singh 2 hours later
Hello XXXXXXX and thanks for posting the query
The problem you are suffering from need has number of causes and to get rid from it we need to remove the cause. Some of the more common causes are:
1. Anal disease. The contents of the bowel contain digestive enzymes that can irritate the skin and cause itching. Minor leakages of bowel motions, and a failure to remove them completely from the skin around the anus, can lead to smell and itching.
2. Skin disease around the back passage. Examples of this include psoriasis, eczema, and fungal infections.
3. Threadworms. In children, itching around the back passage is often due to threadworms, which can cause itching in adults too. The itching is usually worse at night.
4. Allergy. Iching may be due to an allergy to something in contact with the skin, for instance to scent in toilet paper, or to local anaesthetics or preservatives in creams used for piles.
5. Skin irritation. The skin of the bottom is sensitive and can easily be irritated by moist wipes, soaps, perfumes, antiseptics.
6. Sweating. The skin around the back passage is often moist with sweat. If long periods pass without ventilation to the area, for instance if you sit down for a long time, the skin can be irritated further and become itchy.
7. Bad eating habits.

To get rid from it:
1. The first step will be to find out if any of the causes listed above are playing a part in causing your symptoms. If they are, then your doctor will treat them appropriately.
2. If no obvious cause can be found, your doctor may suggest a variety of ways of helping you like: A steroid ointment or cream applied every day to the area for a short course may reduce the itching. It can be used intermittently as and when needed.
3. An antihistamine may be prescribed by your doctor as a course to relieve itching.
4. It is important to remove all irritants such as bowel motions or soap from the skin creases. The area also should be rinsed thoroughly after you have opened your bowels.
5. If you have troublesome constipation, you should see your family doctor for advice.

Precautions you have to take are:
1. You should avoid any of the things listed above that might be contributing to your itching. If you notice that a particular food makes the itching worse, avoid it.
2. Scratch as little as possible, as scratching keeps the itch going.
3. Open your bowels regularly. Try not to delay going to the toilet when you have the urge to do so.
4. Keep your stools soft so you do not have to strain to open your bowels. Eat plenty of fruit, vegetables and other roughage, and drink plenty of water.
5. The use of a bidet or a shower jet helps to remove particles of bowel motion that have become trapped near the anus. Always dry the skin gently, without rubbing it.
6. Keep the area as well ventilated as possible. Clothing should be loose and not made of synthetic materials. Avoid prolonged sitting.
7. Avoid constipation and take go hygienic and healthy diet. Take plenty of water (about 8 glasses per day).

Feel free to consult your doctor and if he/she feel a colonscopy can be XXXXXXX to rule out any infection.

Hope this will help you. Write back for any follow up query.

Best Wishes and get well soon.
Dr. Kulbir Singh
Follow up: Dr. Kulbir Singh 46 minutes later
to be honest its more the smell which worries me as it seemed to change about a week or two after sleeping with this woman.this was six months ago.about three months ago i went to the doctors,which was when he tested my stool for worms etc,and he gave me the all clear.when i wipe there seems to be a small amount of watery fishy smelling fluid after the stool has passed.this never used to happen prior to sleeping with her,and i know she suffered from this problem too.i also had a sexual health check up after sleeping with her and was treated for NSU which i was told was a type of chlamydia.the anti biotics only got rid of it at the very end of the course of treatment,and i was wondering if it hadnt completely cleared up,but i have non of the visible physical symptoms which were present before i got treated.so i took another chlamydia test in which i sent off a urine sample to a credible pharmacy testing lab,and it came back negative.i was wondering if it could have lingered on and passed under the radar of the test.if not then i was wondering why i still have this problem.thanks.
Answered by Dr. Kulbir Singh 19 hours later
Hello XXXXXXX and thanks again
Smelling can be due to infection and it may be possible that infection had came from the women or it may be co-incident that it occurred after that. Fishy smelling fluid after stool can be due to bad eating habit and improper digestion. Other causes can be allergy or infection. The infection can be recurrent and you need to take proper precaution to get rid from that.
Proper cleaning and ventilation of the part and healthy hygienic food is mandatory for that. In my opinion you must consult your Gastro specialist and discuss your problem. Go for some investigations like colonoscopy or stool culture examination if your doctor advise you.
Write back for any other query
Dr. Kulbir Singh