Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
162 Doctors are Online

How to get relief from pain in the buttock?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Orthopaedic Surgeon
Practicing since : 1994
Answered : 10437 Questions
What do I do to stop the pain in my buttock?
Posted Tue, 23 Apr 2013 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 4 hours later
Thanks for posting your query.
The pain in the buttock could be due to a swelling, hematoma, abscess or a muscle sprain, nerve root compression from the spinal cord, etc.
If there is no visible swelling or redness in the area then an infection or inflammation is not likely. In such a case taking a mild pain killer in combination with a muscle relaxant and doing a hot fomentation in the area will help you.
If these measures are not helpful and there is a swelling in the area then a physical examination by an orthopedician is necessary to detect the cause of your pain and specific treatment after necessary investigations.
I hope this answers your query.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Wishing you good health.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Follow-up: How to get relief from pain in the buttock? 9 hours later
Thank you Dr Tayal for your quick response,
I had a shot in my buttock ,when my Dr said I have trochanteric bursitis .but the pain never goes.i have also taken pain reliever such as diclofenac and tramadol.
I started going for physioterapy and the pain goes on and off.
I have taken NSAID a weeks,taken an injection,and the pain still remain.

Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 13 hours later
Thanks for writing again.
The pain due to trochanteric bursitis is due to a chronic inflammation. The local steroid injections often provide only a short term relief. The main treatment of such pain is regular anti inflammatory medicines, hot fomentation and physiotherapy to increase the range of movement.
You may ask your orthopedician for a repeat injection of steroid to take care of the acute symptoms.
Hope my answer is helpful.
Do accept my answer in case there are no further queries.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an Orthopaedic Surgeon

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor