How to get relief from pain in chest and abdomen after a double mastectomy and diep flap reconstruction?

Dr. Surindher

Cosmetic & Plastic Surgeon

Posted on Sat, 5 Jan 2013 in Beauty
Question: I have severe pain in my chest, ribs and abdomen after a double mastectomy and DEP flap reconstruction. I also have shocks on the left side where the origionally placed expander was replaced due to leakage, then became infected, spread to the other expander and both had to be removed. I s anyone abe to tell me where this pain and shocks are coming from. I've been waiting 2 years for it to get better, to do the final reconstruction.
Thank you for insight.
Answered by Dr. Surindher 6 hours later

Thank you for your query on XXXXXXX

I'm sorry to hear about the constant pain for the past two years. Usually post mastectomy and reconstruction there shouldn't be such prolonged pain.

Of course it is difficult for us to determine the cause for the pain without going through your records and examining you in person. But based on what you have said a few possibilities come to mind. One is, any lingering infection, since you mentioned that the implant had burst and subsequently got infected.

The second possibility is a neuroma, during dissection and reconstruction sometime small nerves are cut and these may rarely swell up at the cut ends and produce what is called a neuroma.

The exact cause has to be determined after examining you and hence it would be better if you met someone locally to have a look at you and find out what the problem is.

Sometimes even the scar could be the problem, especially in the chest because the chest moves as you breathe hence the scar can stretch and cause pain. If that is the case then a scar release +/- fat grafting could help.

But, once again I request you to see some one locally so they can examine you and get you investigated to find the exact cause for the pain.

Thank you for your mail I'm sorry for not being able to help you better and for not being able to provide a more definitive answer to your problem.

Wishing you a speedy recovery. Please keep us posted regarding the cause and your progress.

Thank you

Dr.Surindher
WWW.WWWW.WW