Get your health question answered instantly from our pool of 18000+ doctors from over 80 specialties

188 Doctors Online
Doctor Image
Dr. Andrew Rynne

Family Physician

Exp 50 years

I will be looking into your question and guiding you through the process. Please write your question below.

How to get relief from pain in chest and abdomen after a double mastectomy and diep flap reconstruction?

Answered by
Dr. Surindher

Cosmetic & Plastic Surgeon

Practicing since :1993

Answered : 69 Questions

Posted on Sat, 5 Jan 2013 in Beauty
Question: I have severe pain in my chest, ribs and abdomen after a double mastectomy and DEP flap reconstruction. I also have shocks on the left side where the origionally placed expander was replaced due to leakage, then became infected, spread to the other expander and both had to be removed. I s anyone abe to tell me where this pain and shocks are coming from. I've been waiting 2 years for it to get better, to do the final reconstruction.
Thank you for insight.
Answered by Dr. Surindher 6 hours later

Thank you for your query on XXXXXXX

I'm sorry to hear about the constant pain for the past two years. Usually post mastectomy and reconstruction there shouldn't be such prolonged pain.

Of course it is difficult for us to determine the cause for the pain without going through your records and examining you in person. But based on what you have said a few possibilities come to mind. One is, any lingering infection, since you mentioned that the implant had burst and subsequently got infected.

The second possibility is a neuroma, during dissection and reconstruction sometime small nerves are cut and these may rarely swell up at the cut ends and produce what is called a neuroma.

The exact cause has to be determined after examining you and hence it would be better if you met someone locally to have a look at you and find out what the problem is.

Sometimes even the scar could be the problem, especially in the chest because the chest moves as you breathe hence the scar can stretch and cause pain. If that is the case then a scar release +/- fat grafting could help.

But, once again I request you to see some one locally so they can examine you and get you investigated to find the exact cause for the pain.

Thank you for your mail I'm sorry for not being able to help you better and for not being able to provide a more definitive answer to your problem.

Wishing you a speedy recovery. Please keep us posted regarding the cause and your progress.

Thank you

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Chakravarthy Mazumdar

The User accepted the expert's answer

Share on
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions ,  
Medical Procedures ,  

Recent questions on  Neuroma

doctor1 MD

Hi, I m a medical doctor. For over 10 years I had a small swelling now without pain at the head of the 2nd metatarsal right foot. NOW, on the contralateral side a painful swelling has developed. I ve looked up Morton s Neuroma but they say bilaterality is very rare. What do you suggest? Thank you!

doctor1 MD

I have tinnitus in my right ear, so I use my left ear to speak on the phone. I have noticed that when using my cell phone my left ear lobe burns and I feel a weird pulling strange sensation at the side of my head on the same left side. I did an MRI about 3 years ago looking for an acoustic neuroma when I was diagonosed with the tinnitus. I am wondering is it radiation from the phone causing this strange feeling?

doctor1 MD

I worked as a medical transcriptionist for years. I now have Morton's neuroma and hammertoe, right foot as well as disc bulges in my neck and lower back. Are these problems related to my many years of repetitive work? Sorry...I don't have paypal or a credit card. Thanks for trying...

doctor1 MD

I have acute heal pains which developed while sleeping and continue now during the morning when I walkCould it be from a Morton neuroma ? Why can I not have an answer immediately? Tomorrow I can go to visit my doctor at XXXXXXX XXXX where I am a...

doctor1 MD

I woke up yesterday with a pain in the arch of my foot. I have never had this kind of pain. It is very difficult to walk. I do not feel any lumps or bumps on the sole of my foot. Could this be a bone spur?

doctor1 MD

I have sort of a rubber band type feeling around my right ankle, not all the way around, very localized in the achilles area. No pain, swelling or discoloration, just a very annoying sensation. Only when walking or putting pressure on the toe area, and only when walking barefoot or in sandals. Don't feel the sensation in a supportive tennis shoe. I was diagnosed a few years back with a Morton's neuroma. Could this cause a numbness or rubber band type sensation in the back of the heel? I suspect also that I have plantar fascitis but not so severe that I've ever been diagnosed with it. Thanks for your thoughts. Age 50, 5 feet tall, 150 lbs. No medical history of importance.

doctor1 MD

Hi, I'm a 65 year old male, 5' 9" 230 lbs. I have CFS & De Quervian's in both thumbs. Simple exercise like lawn keeping causes me sore all over that never goes away, ever. My CK spikes to 975 like I've played 4 quarters of football. My doctors are...