Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
141 Doctors are Online

How to get relief from lower abdominal pain?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

General Surgeon
Practicing since : 2008
Answered : 5767 Questions
I have abdominal pain at the waist on the left hand side. I went to my doctor 2 days ago and because the muscle hurt when he pushed on it we both dismissed it as a muscle cramp from a long drive home I had been in 3 days earler. Now 2 days after I saw him on Tuesday, it is back again and not going away. My hands are not shaking, but it is distracting pain.
Posted Wed, 20 Mar 2013 in Abdominal Pain
Answered by Dr. Grzegorz Stanko 12 minutes later

Thank you for the query.

Lower left abdominal pain can be caused by inguinal hernia (if the pain is located in the groin), diverticulitis (this condition is strongly associated with constipations), ovarian disease (cancer should be always ruled out), higher than the groin. Please push your abdomen in the area above the groin (lower abdomen) and release it rapidly. If the pain aggravates when releasing, diverticulitis is more possible. If this symptom is positive (it is called Blumberg sign), you should go to ER.
Urinary tract disease can give also mentioned symptom positive, however you should be able to indicate the pain while knocking the back in the kidney area.
It is advisable for you to have abdominal ultrasound, blood work, urine analysis, CA-125 level, CRP level performed. Your age (above 50) is a recommendation for colonoscopy.

Hope this will help. Feel free to ask further questions.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Follow-up: How to get relief from lower abdominal pain? 34 minutes later
Thanks. Pain is getting stronger. I had a colonscopy 5 years ago. No bloody stool. No smell in urine. Ache is distracting. On left side at waist line - but is radiating around back and front.
Answered by Dr. Grzegorz Stanko 6 minutes later

If the pain is getting stronger, it means that there is an inflammation in the place of the pain inside abdominal acvity (it can be due to diverticles or abscess due to diverticle perforation (as every diverticulitis can result with such complication). The exact diagnose can be done after abdominal ultrasound, urine analysis and blood work (WBC, CRP will be elevated if inflammation is present). You definitely should go to the doctor as soon as possible.

Hope this will help. Feel free to ask further questions.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Gastroenterologist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor