Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
151 Doctors are Online

How to get VAP,Pattern A and B, and aLP-Plac tests done?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

General & Family Physician
Practicing since : 2009
Answered : 674 Questions
My PC physician ignores my requests for a VAP, Pattern A and B, and aLP-Plac test. He acts as though I am overstepping my bounds as a patient in requesting these tests. He and my cardiologist do not agree re: cholesterol readings and how to address them. I do not believe fatty plaque is a concern but do believe plaque inflammation in the arteries may be. I am adamant about the two tests therefore my question to you is: HOW do I get my primary care physician to order these tests??? I am thinking perhaps he has never heard of them which concerns me. Every doctor I have ever seen tells me I ask too many questions, I should not be doing inquiries about my own health, etc. etc. etc....I suffered the stroke because of an error in the hospital instructions and a blatant error of the prescribing physician following my neck fracture in December of 2010. Thus my decision to take charge of my body, investigate everything ,question anything and everything and not be brushed off. They object to not being able to place me in one of the ordinary designated categories for old folks. They do not take kindly to mental alertness at my age!! My pediatric neurosurgeon granddaughter supports my theory. Prejudice prevails in geriatrics. Is there hope in my pursuit to have these tests done? XXXX There is no answer posted! I am receiving information telling me my question has been answered--not so. I have submitted a plethora of information as per request and I am looking for answers.
Posted Tue, 18 Mar 2014 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Answered by Dr. Yogesh D 1 hour later
Brief Answer: Yes, there is hope. Detailed Answer: Hello again, Thanks for getting back to me with the details. As I see it, your primary care physician is avoiding doing the costly tests which may get rejected by your insurer. If you wish to convince your PCP, the best approach would be to ask your Pediatric Neurosurgeon Granddaughter to have a chat with your PCP, if nothing else persuades him/her, your Granddaughter should drill some sense into your doc's head. In my opinion the tests you want to get done will add value and will help manage your condition better, so please go ahead and talk to your granddaughter to help you with this. The other option is to pay for the investigations yourself or request your cardiologist to order these tests instead of your PCP, that will also work. I hope this answers your question adequately, if however you have any doubts or need further information and feel I have not addressed any of your concerns, please feel free to write back to me. Wishing you luck. Regards.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Follow-up: How to get VAP,Pattern A and B, and aLP-Plac tests done? 11 hours later
You refer to "costly" tests (the VAP and the LP-Plac) what are the costs? Ifthey are done at the same time as my blood draw for the regular cholesterol tests, When you refer to "these costly tests"---what are the costs? If done at the same time as the blood labs for the regular cholesterol test does that make a difference in cost? My supplemental insurance has never refused anything my doctors approve. My Granddaughter lives and practices in Cincinnati at CU Children's which makes it improbable if not impossible for her to interact with my PC Physician. If I can get the information about the cost of these procedures I will pursue it myself if my insurance will not accept it. Thank you for this final bit of information. Thela Ostling
Answered by Dr. Yogesh D 2 hours later
Brief Answer: The cost will be between $100 to $500 Detailed Answer: Hello, Thanks for writing back. The cost of this test varied from lab to lab, the cheapest quoted price was about $100, and it goes up to $500. You will have to inquire at your local lab to know what they charge. Your Granddaughter needn't meet your PC physician personally, she can just call him, that would suffice in my opinion. If you have additional insurance then it is possible that it will cover these investigations as well, please talk to your insurance provider. I hope this answers your query. Please accept the answer and rate it if you are satisfied, if you have any additional queries I will be happy to answer them as well. Wishing you good health. Warm regards.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Medical Topics

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Cardiologist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor