question-icon

How to gain weight?

Posted on Wed, 28 Jan 2015
Question: Hello,

I come in under weight category. I am 25 years old but my weight is only 40 kg. i want to gain weight any how.

XXXXXX
Answered by Dr. Vaishalee Punj (2 hours later)
Brief Answer:
Let me know your height as well.

Detailed Answer:
Hi

To get an appropriate estimate of your health, I would like to know your height, any other symptoms, health status of your parents and any tests done.

I would like to know the reports of basic tests like CBC, liver function tests, kidney function tests, thyroid profile, fasting blood sugar, total protein-albumin and globulin, etc.

If you have no medical condition then the best way to gain weight is to raise the calorie content of your food. You should take atleast 3 - 4 hearty meals and 3 - 4 snacks in a day. Along with your regular foods, you should take high calorie foods like milk products: cheese, butter, ghee, creamy foods, sweets, etc. You can also take nutritional supplements like ensure mixed in milk one to two times a day. Keep a regular track of your weight.

Hope it helps

Dr Vaishalee
Dr. Vaishalee Punj