How to gain weight?

Pathologist and Microbiologist
Question
Hello....Dr!, I am 28 years old,Male, 51kg, 5.3" height....as i mentioned dam sure am underweight its hectic & unsolved till now..am looking very lean not gaining wieght after a adult age onwards..my shoulder, body looks too skinny dat embrassing me always...till now i never gone through any medical checkups as i browsed telling everyone if its healthy no need to worry...even am healthy..defeienccy of weight gain is there..how to solve dis...Can any XXXXXXX doctor help me to get rid of dis...Suggest any good physician in XXXXXXX or pondicherry? pls dont tel maintain deit plans..if healthy no need...as usual answers..i want a realistic & efficiently who can help me to gain weight? How to gain weight!!!..am looking for your valuable suggestion...Thank you
Posted Wed, 20 Aug 2014 in General Health

Answered by Dr. Shailja Puri 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Exercise and nutritious diet.

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for posting your query on HealthcareMagic.

In order to gain weight a proper regime like one followed for weight loss has to be followed.
Weight gain requires increase in calorie intake.
Calories can be increased by increasing the calorie intake.
Calories can be increased by consuming more food than what you are already taking.
Exercise spends calories or burns calories.
Exercising increases the appetite also.
Thus, I would suggest you to exercise and preferably join a gym and work out under the guidance of an instructor.
At the same time, nutritious balanced diet has to be taken.
The protein content should be high and carbohydrates and fats should be limited.
Fluids in the form of water, soups, juices should be included in the diet.
Protein are building blocks of the body and are required for repair and regeneration.
Thus, protein content id diet should be high.

If you have more queries, I will be glad to answer.
Dr Shailja P Wahal

Follow-up: How to gain weight? 22 hours later
Thank you for ur defination which will known..!Yes indded proteins are buliding blocks of body.. i wont get much time as am working in private firm which suggets by u to join gym.How can i get nutrition diet ?..I am having a food as much my body will allow but still from d childwood i dint reached a normal development of my body depends on height & age factor. What will be the reason for dat?
Would u suggest to take helathy protein supplements..if yes which one? Ist requied doctor live prescription to use protien supplmts? or u will recomend?
Can u pls suggest a doctor from XXXXXXX or pondicherry?
Is need of body through checkup to find reason?

I need a suitable treatment in effective manner as doctor not definations pls...

Brief Answer:
Take protein rish foods, consult a physician.

Detailed Answer:
Hello and welcome again,

Protein rich foods are pulses, fish, cheese, eggs and milk.
Try to take these food items in bulk in your meals.
Many protein supplements are available in the market e.g. nutrilite, proteinex etc.
You can take any one of them.

However, increasing proteins will not increase your weight.
As you have mentioned that you have a lean body type, I am afraid that you will gain weight just by increasing protein in your diets.

However, if you are suspicious that you have some disease process which is responsible for lean body, I would suggest you to consult a physician for a couple of investigations.

It will not be possible to suggest a doctor in XXXXXXX or Pondicherry n this forum.

Thanks and take care
Dr Shailja P Wahal

Follow-up: How to gain weight? 45 hours later
Thanks agian!!!!....You r not fit for Dr? Position...better to get trained well & serve the pateints....Hope u dint understand my last quereies if i look in to ur reply...

Am asking is there any boilogical reason not to gain weight ...may b which u faced in ur career & met so many situtions &reasons...I explained am healthy, genetically no one from my family lean...food intke also normal....still something wrong..want to know?...Based on ur expereince wat will common cause for not gaining weight taking account of my helathy,normal food intake & not genetically are ok...
Is protein supplements ok to consume, will it have any side affects?

Answered by Dr. Shailja Puri 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Protein supplements are safe to consume

Detailed Answer:
Hello and welcome to HCM,

Yes, protein supplements are safe to consume.

Thanks and take care
Dr Shailja P Wahal