How to gain weight?

Dr. Rahul Tawde

Posted on Wed, 13 Aug 2014 in Weight & Lifestyle
Question: Hey Doc
Can i know my daily routine to gain weight ?
I work in XXXXXXX and my shift timing for this week is 7-4.
Answered by Dr. Rahul Tawde 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Healthy lifestyle and healthy diet

Detailed Answer:
Hi XXXXXXX
Thanks for posting your concern in the HCM.

Before giving the answer, I need to know your present height and weight to calculate your BMI and your occupation to determine whether you are a sedentary, moderate or heavy worker. However, whatever they are you should keep your BMI between 18.5-22.5 (if you are living in XXXXXXX or any other developing country) or 18.5-24.99 (If you live in a western country, in simplest terms).

My recommendations for good health are-
1. Please perform daily exercise or yoga for at least 30 min. If that is not possible perform brisk walking for 30 min/day
2. Your diet should contain high fiber, complex carbohydrate, animal proteins, unsaturated fats, limited oil and no extra salt. Bowl of fresh green leafy vegetables in the meal are great for health. Fruits and nuts are also beneficial.
3. For better digestion and avoiding bloating, frequent small meal at regular interval is best.
4. You should have milk and milk products especially curd if you can tolerate.
5. Egg protein or the egg white is good for health if you are not allergic to the same.
5. Avoid high sugar or carbonated beverages, fat and oily foods, excessive alcohol consumption and smoking.

Regarding your daily routine, you are the best person to decide at what time you should perform your exercise. Even a brisk walking in the evening is also good for health. Regarding your meals, my opinion is don't keep your stomach empty for more than 4 hours except during bedtime.

Hope you are satisfied with my answer. If you think I have satisfactorily resolved your query, please rate my answer. If you have any further query related to this, please write back.
In case you have any new query in future, you can directly ask me questions @ http://www.HealthcareMagic.com/doctors/dr-kaushik-sarkar/68460. I will try my level best to help you.
Dr. Kaushik

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Ashwin Bhandari
Follow up: Dr. Rahul Tawde 29 minutes later
My BMI is 19 but I look thin everyone suggest me do be bit more healthy
Answered by Dr. Rahul Tawde 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
BMI is normal

Detailed Answer:
Thanks XXXXXXX for your prompt reply.

A BMI of 19 is within normal range. You are not at all underweight.

I can understand your problem, when the people around you become crazy and excessively worried about your health. I can also tell you that you may even be taunted for your body morphology.
But, these things are not good at all. I have seen people, especially girls who developed psychiatric problem like depression, body dysmorphic disorders etc. because of the crazy people surrounding them. Please don't take it so seriously that it becomes a mental burden to you. And tell them who are overtly over-concerned regarding your "thin figure", that you have far less chance of developing diabetes, hypertension, cardiovascular disease etc. than those people who call themselves healthy, but has a BMI much higher than even 25.

Please follow the advices I have provided in my previous answer regarding lifestyle and diet.
Furthermore, a good sleep of 8 hours, going to bed early for sleep and maintenance of sleep hygiene are needed for good health.
Avoid excessive stress, have a relaxation session of 30 min. every day as well.
Please follow the above advice to stay physically and mentally healthy.
In addition, regular exercise or yoga will also strengthen your muscles and improve your blood circulation. That will also help you to look healthier.

Dr. Kaushik
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad