How to flush remnants of food while having a gastrostomy tube?

Dr. Rahul Tawde

Posted on Mon, 6 Mar 2017 in Digestion and Bowels
Question: My Dad is 90 years old and had a feeding tube put in a year ago.
Now there is food formula residual that are permately visible in the tube that is about an inch and a half long. I was worried that this permenent formula residual has turned into bacteria becouse it has been there now for weeks. I have my Dad squeduled to get a new tube tomorrow becouse of my fear of the tube having bacteria from the permenant food residual in the tube.

Did I make a mistake to get a new one by causing an unecesary risk with the procedure
Answered by Dr. Rahul Tawde 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
No

Detailed Answer:
Hello, Thank you for posting your question on HealthcareMagic.
This does happen with feeding tube and I presume it is PEG tube right?
The formula feed will not be flushed out completely and the residue remains stuck to the tube eventually blocking it .
Even if you had not decided to go in for an elective replacement you would have had to.go in for it sooner or later.
At 90 any procedure even a naso gastric tube would be equally risky but it has to be done .
Hope this helps
Best wishes
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Kampana