How to feed solid food an infant?

Posted on Mon, 7 Jul 2014 in General Health
Question: Our baby is 7 months. We are having tough time feeding her raagi, rice powder with dal or juice. Tried feeding with milk bottle too, no luck. Only banana she is eating little banana and breast feeding is fine. Any tips/ advice would be great.
Answered by Dr. Sumanth Amperayani 39 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Tips for the baby

Detailed Answer:
Hi...Thank you for consulting in Health Care magic. I understand your concern. I have a few questions for you.

Questions:
1. What was the birth weight and what is the current weight?
2. How is the attaining of developmental milestones?

Suggestions:
1. Normal south XXXXXXX feeds like Dal and rice porridge are quite good.
2. Add ghee to make it calorie dense and at the same time more palatable too.
3. Banana is good, it helps prevent constipation too.
4. Please continue breast feeding till 2 years if possible.
5. Excess of fruit juices may cause diarrhea, rather than that direct fruit pieces made as paste will be good.

Hope my answer was helpful for you. I am happy to help any time. Further clarifications and consultations on Health care magic are welcome. If you do not have any clarifications, you can close the discussion and rate the answer. Wish your kid good health.
Dr. Sumanth MBBS., DCH., DNB (Paed).,

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vinay Bhardwaj
Follow up: Dr. Sumanth Amperayani 31 hours later
Birth weight is 2.28 current weight. 5.82. I didnt quite understand your second question .
Answered by Dr. Sumanth Amperayani 33 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Suggestions on weight and diet

Detailed Answer:
Hi...thanks for the trust in me.

Taking into consideration her birth weight and her current weight, your baby is failing to thrive, which means she is not gaining appropriate weight as is required according to standards.

What I meant by developmental milestones is - whether she has attained rolling over/ head control etc according to the appropriate age or not. Hope she is doing well in those parameters.

Regarding her diet, hope you have understood my above suggestions. Small aliquots of feed and making the small feeds energy dense by increasing the calories in them is what you should do.

I repeat the suggestions to make feeds calorie dense -
Suggestions:

Dr. Sumanth MBBS., DCH., DNB (Paed).,

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Yogesh D
Dr. Sumanth Amperayani

Pediatrician, Pulmonology