How to enhance the chances of conception?

Dr. Manisha Jain

OBGYN

Posted on Thu, 10 Sep 2015 in Women's Health
Question: Hi Sir,
I am male, 29 years. Married 3 years back and having a good and proper married life.
I was in a family planning and now decided to have a baby.
My wife is aged 28 years. We had not tried for conceiving last 3 years and now i think its time to have a baby. I had tried 2 times last 2 months, but not successful. So what all should we do for getting conceived at the earliest.

Kindly tell the best time, date, how to do and when to do, and preparations. Any diet to be followed etc

Now my wife is very eager to get pregnant.

Give us a good advice regarding all these
Answered by Dr. Manisha Jain 15 minutes later
Brief Answer:
simple measures told

Detailed Answer:
Hello Sir, i understand your health concern.
It takes 6-9 months of active trying to acheive sucessful pregnancy.
You can try following measures to enhance the chances of conception -
1) try to keep a pillow beneath her buttocks after sex so that gravitational force keeps the semen inside her vagina for a longer time.
2) she should not get up for at least 20-25 minutes
3) try conventional position of sex female lying down on bed
4) maximum chances of conception are in day 10-18 of the cycle in case she has regular cycles.
I hope these measures will help you in conception in near future.
I basically practice infertility so in case you have any questions in future I will be glad to help
Follow up: Dr. Manisha Jain 14 minutes later
Hi
Dear Dr. XXXXXXX
The tips are much informative and useful

Frankly, when trying for this, much delay is caused for coming the sperm, and it is causing frustration between us.

So what to do for this. And should i have something to increase the sperm count?

She is having regular periods of 29 days.

Our relatives told to have folic acid too.

Answered by Dr. Manisha Jain 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Nothing active needed for increasing the sperm counts

Detailed Answer:
Thanks dear.
Folic acid is good for fetal health once she conceives and is commonly given the moment couple starts planning for pregnancy but it doesn't help in early conception directly.
Start taking folic acid so that once she conceives she carries a healthy environment for her baby.
No need to take anything for increasing sperm counts.
But can try these simple things -
- take good amount of fruits and salads daily,
- avoid smoking and alcohol
- avoid stress or sleep lags
- can try yoga or meditation
- drink lots of water and lime juice.
- avoid tight underclothes or tight jeans for long hours.
Wish you all the best.
Follow up: Dr. Manisha Jain 16 minutes later
Yea Thank You so much Dear XXXXXXX for these informations.
Will try as you had explained and will keep in touch.

One more thing :
You told to do from day 10 - 18. Should we do continuously or alternative days?
and is there any particular time for doing it?
Kindly advice in this regard.

Thank You so much.
Will revert.

Brief Answer:
Alternate days

Detailed Answer:
Indulge in sexual activity on alternate days and no masturbation in this time of mid cycle as it will disturb the sperm concentration desired.
You can do it any time of the day but since she needs to lie down for a while and better to avoid activity usually so best time is just before going to sleep.
All the best.