Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
192 Doctors are Online

How to discourage drug useage?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Practicing since : 2007
Answered : 2770 Questions
I have a 13 yr old male child who entered a XXXXXXX and mortar school for the first time last year. He is very athletic 6'4" and 215) and plays for the high school teams. (baseball JV and basketball). He is being introduced to weed and pills. I am wondering if there is such thing as a sports psychologist or such that could help him with the peer pressures?
Posted Sun, 23 Feb 2014 in Mental Health
Answered by Dr. Srikanth Reddy 29 minutes later
Brief Answer: Psychologist help can be taken Detailed Answer: Hello, Thanks for choosing XXXXXXX for posting your query. I have gone through your question in detail and I can understand what you are going through. Its unfortunate that at such a young age of 13 yrs your son has started taking weed and pills. Its a very common age to experiment and see how things work and children do engage in such activities. Basically he needs to be talked. You need to explain him that if sports is his passion then the drugs are going to do only harm to him and no profit. If he tests positive for any of the drugs then his career in sports will stand at risk. Any adult general psychologist can be used for supportive psychotherapy and motivational interviewing of your son to keep away from the weed and pills. Hope I am able to answer your concerns. If you have any further query, I would be glad to help you. If not, you may close the discussion and if possible you may rate the answer for me, so that I get a good feedback. In future if you wish to contact me directly, you can use the below mentioned link: Wish you good health, Kind regards Dr. Srikanth Reddy M.D.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Follow-up: How to discourage drug useage? 16 minutes later
He has not used any drugs. His peers are suggesting them to him. I'm asking what is available to him for help to continue to say no.
Answered by Dr. Srikanth Reddy 11 hours later
Brief Answer: No medicines for saying no Detailed Answer: Hello Thanks for the follow-up question. There are no medicines available which will help him in saying no. A visit to a psychologist will re-inforce his thoughts that drug talking is bad and one should always avoid starting them. This will improve the motivation in the kid to keep away from him. Further you need to spend good amount of family time with him and involve in all possible recreational activities. He can also volumteer is some drug de-addiction center during his summer break which will give him a good insight into the problems related to drugs. Regards Dr. Srikanth Reddy
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Psychiatrist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor