Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
136 Doctors are Online

How to diagnose the cause for blood in urine ?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Internal Medicine Specialist
Practicing since : 1998
Answered : 1579 Questions
hello, i'm a 40 year old woman and for the pass few months i have been having blood in my discharge. i have no burning, itching, irritation in any way, just when i urinate my discharge has blood. i've been to my doctor and my basic pelvic exam was normal/fine. and i've had cbc and it was fine/negative of anything as well. but i'm concern; should i get futher test and what do you think it could be, my doctor didn't want to say because of my age.
Fri, 18 May 2012 in Vaginal and Uterus Health
Answered by Dr. Jasvinder Singh 26 minutes later

Thanks for posting your query.

I can understand your concern for painless bloody vaginal discharge. Sometimes this type of discharge or spotting is harmless, but sometimes it may be due to a medical condition. It may be an indication of old, dry blood that came from cervix most probably due to sexual intercourse and irritation of the cervix causing a little tear.

However at your age which is perimenopausal, we need to get certain other possibilities ruled out. These include uterine fibroids, ectopic pregnancy, fluctuation in hormone levels, genital infections and hypothyroidism.

I suggest you to consult a gynecologist and get a pelvic examination done. You also need to get certain investigations like pelvic swab of the discharge, PAP smear, ultrasound uterus and hormones levels done. These investigations will help in confirming the diagnosis.

Hope this answers your query. If you have additional questions or follow up queries then please do not hesitate in writing to us. Also do get back with your lab reports. I will be happy to answer your queries.

Wishing you good health.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Topics

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an OBGYN

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor