How to diagnose liver cirrhosis?

Excellent

Question
Alt 79 and wbc count 10.4. Last blood work was 5 years ago and it was the same. All other blood work was fine. I have also had an ultrasound and ct scan. Doctors say it is a fatty liver. Is there a chance it could be cirrhosis though they keep telling me there is no sign of cirrohsis? Just concerned since it has been elevated for that many years. Thank you.
Posted Sun, 17 Aug 2014 in Liver and Gall Bladder

Answered by Dr. Michelle Gibson James 30 minutes later
Brief Answer:
cirrhosis would be clearly seen

Detailed Answer:
HI, thanks for using healthcare magic

Cirrhosis is advanced liver disease. It involved the replacement of normal liver tissue with scar (fibrotic tissue), it also involves the change from normal liver structure to formation of nodules (masses in the liver).

These changes would be very noticable by ultrasound and CT. If none of the changes associated with cirrhosis were seen, then you do not have cirrhotic liver disease.

It is likely that the change in liver enzymes is due to fatty liver.

Fatty liver is a common cause of liver enzymes changes. It can go on to cirrhosis if there is no change in diet and activity but if there have no progress in the last five years that it good.

I hope this helps, feel free to ask any other questions

Follow-up: How to diagnose liver cirrhosis? 7 minutes later
no follow up questions. just want to thank you for the quick response and piece of mind. I have lost 22 pounds in 3 weeks and still continue to change my diet. Just been terrified I could leave my 3 and 6 year old without a father. Thank you again and have a great weekend!

Answered by Dr. Michelle Gibson James 35 minutes later
Brief Answer:
very, very good, congrats

Detailed Answer:
HI

Congrats on the weight loss, it can be difficult to lose weight, so to be doing so well speaks to your determination and effort.

Once you are able to continue to lose what is possible, then you would not only decrease the chance of the fatty liver evolving but also decrease the other weight related risks as well.

Wish you to best, feel free to contact with any other queries