Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
149 Doctors are Online

How to diagnose kawasaki disease? What are the treatment available?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Pediatrician, Critical Care
Practicing since : 2001
Answered : 208 Questions
Kauwaski disease was just featured on Grey's anatomy---My son, now 34 had these same symptoms including the peeling of his feet and hands, strep? throat, swollen glands, fevers, many of the symptoms described now at 34, his health is ok but his father died at 41 of clogged ateries--ie the widow maker--now what is the best tx for him--he was diagnosed of selective IgA deficiency--he has flu shots and neumovac as scheduled but has a stressful position
I'm thinking he was misdiagnosed, this may have consequences now and on the future
Posted Sun, 21 Apr 2013 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Answered by Dr. Tejas Shah 1 hour later
Thanks for posting your query here.

Kawasaki disease is usually a disease of childhood, with myriad signs and symptoms. There is no specific diagnostic test to label and confirm the diagnosis. However, there are criteria/symptoms-signs which if present in a particular patient - it is suspected and treated.

Main problem associated with Kawasaki disease is its effect on Coronary arteries. These arteries becomes large, tortuous i.e. aneurysm and are liable to lead to blockage, rupture or decrease blood supply to the heart, many years later.

Best way to confirm if there is any problem with coronary blood vessels is get an Echocardiography (scan of the heart). Please do mention that you are particularly worried about this condition and there is family health of clogged arteries.

Patients with Selective IgA deficiency have increased frequency of infections, especially respiratory & digestive system. They have a higher risk of developing autoimmune diseases in middle age.

For your concerns about effects of Kawasaki on heart, best modality at this age would be to get scan of the heart.

For family history of clogged arteries, please do see your Family Physician about it. Your son may need to get his blood tested for things like Lipid, Cholesterol levels, Protein C, Protein S etc

For IgA deficiency - no further active intervention is needed apart from being vigilant and prompt treatment for any infection.

Dr Tejas Shah
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Follow-up: How to diagnose kawasaki disease? What are the treatment available? 15 hours later
Doctor Shah,
Please tell me where you practice so if I share this info with my son, and I don't know if I will because he has had some of these tests done, was concerned about the results but did not share the information with me, he will view your answer with credibility.
Thank you
PS His weight is in line with his height--he resently dropped 20 pounds by working with a trainer.
I have severe osteoarthritis, due to scoliosis so I am concerned on the wear and tear on his bone structure from my experience. He does not have this too, thank God!
When this son was in High School, he had a shattered ankle which was misdiagnosed as a sprain. When he runs or does anything using equipment using ankles, he has much pain. Now what should he do other than swimming?
Answered by Dr. Tejas Shah 1 hour later

I was trained in UK and currently practice in India as Critical Care Specialist. We do diagnose patients with Kawasaki and have managed patients having Coronary Artery problems as well many years later after Kawasaki.

It is good to know that he dropped 20 pounds by working with trainer. I am sure the trainer is aware about this ankle issues and he will be the best guide to suggest other exercises.

I'm sure you have had ankles x-ray/MRI etc. If there are any bony mal alignment, Foot surgeons are able to get them in place and that will help to reduce pain.

Apart from Swimming and exercises suggested by his trainer, I don't feel there is need to do more. Suggest him to eat healthy, well-balanced diet, with at least 5 portions of fruit/vegetable a day.

Wishing you and your son good luck.
Please do come back if you have any further queries and leave feedback for me.

Dr Tejas Shah
Critical Care Specialist
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Follow-up: How to diagnose kawasaki disease? What are the treatment available? 48 hours later
Thanks for your answer but where do you practice--in the USA or?
I wish you were available when he was three, with fevers, very sore throat to the point of hardly breathing, no urine output in 2 days etc, etc--the pediatrician told us to take him home from the hospital, without correcting anything--he didn't want patients to be afraid of needles so he didn't start an IV until I fired him and let the resident take care of him but the pediatrician came back to discharge Joe--left orders to give him 1 ounce of meds 3 times a day--needless to say, I was very angry.
I hope good doctors like you watch our for the children who do not have educated or assertive parents.
Answered by Dr. Tejas Shah 46 minutes later
Thanks for your kind words.

Really sorry to hear about your experience with the doctor when your son was young.

I practice in India in hospital and try and help out online for queries like yours.

Wish you good luck and hoping that things do work out good for both of you.

It was my pleasure to answer your queries and please do leave me feedback.

Dr Tejas Shah
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Cardiologist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor