• question-icon

How to determine ovulation days?

Posted on Tue, 31 May 2016 in General Health
Question: Hello,
I was 8 weeks pregnant when I found out I had had a missed miscarriage at 7 weeks and had to have a D&C procedure on the 1st of February. I had my first period on the 7th of March and would like to know what are my chances of ovulating this month and possibly conceiving again?

Thank you
Answered by Dr. S Patra 35 minutes later
Brief Answer:
20-25% chance of pregnancy.

Detailed Answer:
Hello Dear,

Thanks for writing to us. Let me know few things:

1) Did you have regular or irregular cycle previously (before miscarriage) ?

2) Duration of cycle ? Any previous H/O abortion?

3) Did you check beta-hCG level after D & C ?

In general, chance of pregnancy in single cycle is 20-25% if you involved in unprotected sex during ovulation time.

However, I suggest you give a gap of 1 to 2 months before planning next pregnancy. In this time period, you can undergo basic investigations to rule out causes of miscarriage and take Folic acid/ Vitamin supplements for next 3 months (before conception) for better development of nervous system.

Waiting for your earliest response for further suggestion.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Naveen Kumar
Follow up: Dr. S Patra 19 minutes later
I used to have regular cycles of 28-30 days. I had an abortion a year ago on my own choice and had no trouble getting pregnant ( concieved on the first month I tried). I had low progesterone throughout my pregnancy so my doctor thinks it is probably due to that. Should I take progesterone during this time im trying to concieve?
Answered by Dr. S Patra 29 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Micronised progesterone should be taken.

Detailed Answer:
Hello Dear,

Welcome back again. I understand your concern.

If progesterone deficiency is the main reason of current miscarriage, then I can suggest you to take natural micronised progesterone as supplement while you are trying to conceive and initial 3 months to support pregnancy and prevent possible miscarriage. It should be continued with prenatal vitamins and folic acid.

Kindly, procure complete prescription from your doctor. Hope, it helps for your information. Good luck and take care.

For future query, you can directly approach me through

http://doctor.healthcaremagic.com/Funnel?page=askDoctorDirectly&docId=63326

Follow up: Dr. S Patra 59 minutes later
Thank you for your answer. I wanted to know, because I had low progesterone last pregnancy does it automatically mean my progesterone will be low on this futur pregnancy? e
Answered by Dr. S Patra 27 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Progesterone is given to support pregnancy.

Detailed Answer:
Hello Dear,

Welcome back again.

As pregnancy is continued, progesterone demand will be increased naturally. If your body is unable to make progesterone properly, then your future pregnancy may result into another miscarriage. It is usually given as supportive supplement.

I can suggest you to check current progesterone level by blood test. It will be more helpful to determine future progression of pregnancy.

There is NO relation between past and current progesterone level. Body will restore it automatically in the most cases. Some women may need supplement.

Hope, it helps for your information. Good luck and take care.

Dr. S Patra

OB & GYN Specialist