How to detect pregnancy?

Posted on Fri, 11 Jul 2014 in Women's Health
Question: Hello, I have a questions about my period. I am usually every 28-29 days, very regular and my periods last about 6 days heavy at first light at the end. Last month I missed a few birth control pills(microgestin) and I was on anitbiotics (Keflex) I have also been taking headache medicine (Topiramate) daily. This month my period started 5 days early and the first day I spotted brown twice then it stopped. Second day bown and pink. the next two days it varied from bown to red to dark red and then stopped. It stopped on the day that I was scheduled to start my period. Could I be pregnant? I know that from records we did have sex while I ovulated. Is this normal? From what I am reading online all of the medications that I was taking could interfere with my birth control. I also had a few very small blood clots the first day. Both days I never bled enough to fill a regular tampon but I cramped very bad (which I did with my first son as well) I have been tired as well but not sure if that is from having a headache for 4 days now.
Answered by Dr. Mahesh Koregol 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
periods

Detailed Answer:
Hi

I read your query and I understand your concerns.

Following is my reply

1. You are unlikely to be pregnant.

2. Since you have missed some pills and took antibiotics the periods have come early due to withdrawal effect 9f hormones.

3. If you strongly suspect pregnancy get serum beta hCG blood test done to confirm pregnancy.

Let me know if you have any more questions.

Dr. Mahesh Koregol
Follow up: Dr. Mahesh Koregol 42 minutes later
So would that also explain the short and very light period too? And the cramping and feeling bloated in my lower stomach? There are a few similiarities to my first pregnancy that is why i am wondering. If i were to be pregnant when would o be able to test?Thanks!
Answered by Dr. Mahesh Koregol 27 minutes later
Brief Answer:
now

Detailed Answer:
Hi

That explains all the things that you have mentioned.

You can get the serum beta hCG blood test done now.

Dr. Mahesh Koregol

Infertility Specialist