Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
133 Doctors are Online

How to detect pregnancy when blood B HCG comes negative?

Mar 2013
User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by
Practicing since : 1998
Answered : 5956 Questions
Hello, I had a misscarriage in october. On december 10th my blood work finally came back negative hcg. It has been almost 4 weeks later,still no period, and i have had three positive pregnancy test. Could I be pregnant or is hcg still in my urine?
Posted Thu, 23 Jan 2014 in Pregnancy
Answered by Dr. Aarti Abraham 4 minutes later
Brief Answer: GET PELVIC ULTRASOUND SCAN DONE Detailed Answer: Hello Thanks for writing to us with your health concern. After a miscarriage, it takes almost 4 - 6 weeks for the B - HCG values to come back to normal. If the blood B HCG was negative, then the urine test would not come out positive, because the blood test is much more sensitive. I think this is a fresh pregnancy. Have you been sexually active since ? A pelvic ultrasound scan will clarify matters. Please get that done. Take care. Feel free to discuss further.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Follow-up: How to detect pregnancy when blood B HCG comes negative? 21 minutes later
Yes, we have been trying to get pregnant for over a year now. We probably tried three weeks ago for the first time since i had the miscarriage(right after blood work was finally.negative). I know blood is more sensitive than urine but I read that it stays in urine longer. Is that true? Also I had brown spotting a week ago that lasted two days with cramping.
Answered by Dr. Aarti Abraham 36 minutes later
Brief Answer: DETAILED BELOW Detailed Answer: Yes, maybe a day or two more in the urine, since urine is essentially secreted out of the blood. It is not possible that your HCG was zero before three weeks, and then the urine test is positive 3 weeks later. Please get a pelvic ultrasound, specially considering the spotting , which could be indicative of either your period , or a miscarriage or ectopic pregnancy.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an OBGYN

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor