Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
131 Doctors are Online

How to deal with postpartum psychosis?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Addiction Medicine Specialist
Practicing since : 2002
Answered : 1486 Questions
Trying to find a doc who deals with postpartum psychosis in XXXXXXX area. Sister needs help and is being run through the system. Any suggestions or referrals are welcome. Thank you.
Posted Thu, 20 Feb 2014 in Mental Health
Answered by Dr. Preeti Parakh 14 hours later
Brief Answer: Explained below. Detailed Answer: Hi, Welcome to Healthcare Magic! Post-partum psychosis can be easily managed by any psychiatrist. Just ask her doctor to refer her to any psychiatrist who is available. No special expertise is needed in this field as it all psychiatrists are familiar with it and can manage it adequately. The medicines that she has been prescribed (Ativan, Ambien) are of no use in this illness. She will need an antipsychotic medicine. Olanzapine (Zyprexa) or Risperidone (Risperdal) would do well. If a psychiatrist is not available for some reason or if it is taking too long to arrange for a consultation, ask her primary care physician to provide a prescription for Zyprexa 5 mg, one tablet of which is to be taken at bedtime. After a few days, the dose can be hiked. Since post-partum psychosis can impair a mother's ability to care for the baby, it should be treated as soon as possible. She should also not be allowed to be alone with the baby as in some cases, mothers have ended up harming their babies because of the psychosis. If you would like names and contact details of psychiatrists in your area, please let me know. I'll send you a list. Best wishes. Dr Preeti Parakh MD Psychiatry
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Psychiatrist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor