How to deal with bladder pain during pregnancy?

Dr. P. T. Patil

Urologist

Posted on Sat, 9 Jun 2018 in Urinary and Bladder Problems
Question: Hi. I am 6 weeks pregnant. For the last week I have been experiencing bladder pain that is pretty constant. It sometimes hurts when I empty my bladder, but not always. I went to my doctor and they ran a urinalysis and sent it for culture. Everything came cabs clear. They put me on a course of nitrofurantoin but it has not helped. I have one pill left to take. I am basically looking for insight on what other things this could be and what direction I need to go next. I’m very uncomfortable and it is affecting my ability to do things on everyday life. Thank you.
Answered by Dr. P. T. Patil 3 hours later
Brief Answer:
Could be due to spasms of bladder

Detailed Answer:
Hello
Thanks for query .

Discomfort in bladder in absence pf any evidence of infection during first trimester of pregnancy is common and is most of the time due to spasms of bladder.

I shall be happy if you can post me more details to help me in making precise comments
1) Do you have frequency for urination ?
2) Do you have urgency for urination ?
3) Do you have any other symptoms like increase frequency for stools loose motions etc?

Start taking Flavoxate twice daily along with Nitrofurantoin twice daily .It should get cured within a week.

Hope I have answered your query ,please feel free to ask if you have more questions,I shall be happy to help you
Thanks and Regards.
Dr.Patil.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Raju A.T
Follow up: Dr. P. T. Patil 2 hours later
Thanks for your answer.

I have been peeing more often, mainly because my bladder constantly feels full, even when I’ve just urinated.

I have been getting more cramping in relation to BM and they are softer than usual.

What causes the bladder to spasm during first pregnancy?

Are there any adverse effects for the baby with Flavoxate?
Answered by Dr. P. T. Patil 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Taking Flavoxate will not have any ill effect on baby.

Detailed Answer:
Hello
Thanks for follow up .

No precise cause for bladder spasms during pregnancy has been found .

Taking Flavoxate will not have adverse effects on baby .

Thanks and Regards.
Dr.Patil.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Nagamani Ng