Get your health question answered instantly from our pool of 18000+ doctors from over 80 specialties

126 Doctors Online
Doctor Image
Dr. Andrew Rynne

Family Physician

Exp 50 years

I will be looking into your question and guiding you through the process. Please write your question below.

How to deal with anti social and paranoid personality traits in a person with alcohol addiction?

Answered by
Dr. Alok Sinha


Practicing since :2001

Answered : 212 Questions

Posted on Fri, 11 Sep 2015 in Mental Health
Question: I have sister aged 55 who has been a chronic alcoholic along with her natural childhood personality of lying, stealing and conning people into thinking she's a good person. I have spent months over the years helping her clean up her filthy living conditions, gardening, encouraging healthy eating habits; all to so often being subject to her unjust terribly abusive language, personal threats. She decided 18 months ago to cut myself and our brother out of her life; blaming me especially for not being able to 'pay her back' for cooking us a Christmas meal. When I had the money, she refused it. I've had a lifetime of verbal abuse from her but still I feel I'd like to try to gain some professional support to come with me to her home and talk all together. She was given public housing five years before eligible and I feel so angry she's allowed to remain living there in a 'pig-stye' condition, that I've cleaned up twice; mouldy food, 70 odd empty wine casks, rubbish covering floor and benches throughout the home. Can I gain help to force her to allow me in to talk and get her forced into seeking proper help or be evicted. Many decent people require public housing. My sister should never have been handed such with no follow-up inspections. Thankyou. My email address is YYYY@YYYY

Answered by Dr. Alok Sinha 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Alcohol de-addiction and help from "alcoholic anonymous" group may work.

Detailed Answer:
welcome to HCM,
It is wise to ask your query here.

I can understand your concern and suffering.

By reading your description about personality of your sister it appears that she is having dis-social and paranoid personality traits. She is also habituated to chronic alcohol use and that may have caused some alcohol related psychiatric illness as well.

Due to her personality and her drinking habit neither she is able to take care of self nor she can maintain good relationship with others.

It is difficult to change her personality but her drinking habit and related psychiatric illness may be treated if she may be provided professional help of a de-addiction center/psychiatrist. After abstaining from alcohol and after treatment for possible psychiatric illness probably she may listen to you.
You may also take the help of a group known as "Alcoholic Anonymous" active in your vicinity. This is a group of reformed drinker who actively help addicted persons.

I wish you good luck and better health to your sister.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Neel Kudchadkar

The User accepted the expert's answer

Share on
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions

Recent questions on  Paranoid personality

doctor1 MD

Doc, a friend of mine is showing extreme mood swings and appears to avoid contact with me yet launches on tirades in which she blames everything on me and refuses to accept responsibility for any of her behaviors saying that it's all my fault. She...

doctor1 MD

Hello, I have questions about my mother who has OCD . I wonder if she also has narcistic personality disorder , or if I m just reading too much into this. I ve read a lot and seen the quiz to determine, but I’m still not sure. There is a lot here...

doctor1 MD

Sir, My wife always says somebody is talking to her though it is not a reality. being irritated always scolding me as if I am involved with that girl which is not a fact. My physical relation is not there since eight years due to her behavioural dis-order. I am suffering a lot of mental stress. She is verymuch reluctant to visit any doctor and any psychiatrist. Please advise me.