Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
169 Doctors are Online

How to cure red blotchy areas around the corners of mouth ?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Practicing since : 1996
Answered : 988 Questions
Hi.....My name is XXXXXXX ....I have red blotchy areas around the corners of my mouth and chin I have tried ringworm medicine
and medicine for cold sores...nothing seems to work.....
the red blotchy areas are about the size of a fifty cent piece on both sides of my mouth and chin......any ideas?
i am 5ft 6 , 48 yrs old and i weigh 262......
Tue, 24 Apr 2012 in Skin Rash
Answered by Dr. Bharat Chawda 2 hours later

Thank you for the query,

It seems that you might be suffering with ANGULAR CHEILITIS or ANGULAR STOMATITIS, and this is a chronic inflammatory condition, which may occur because of various reasons.

It may be because of either of the following reasons :
- fungal infection & bacterial infection (secondary)
- nutritional deficiency esp vitamin riboflavin (B2)
- malnutrition
- constant vomiting
- ill fitting dentures or constant salivation at angles of mouth.
- side effect of medicines like isotretinoin.

Even the chin lesions could be a part of the same and the treatment depends upon the cause.

As I don't know the anti fungal you have tried, but oral fluconazole works good in this. This should be included with antibiotic if there seems to a bacterial infection.

If that hasn't worked then you should take a long course of vitamin B12 or Vitamin B complex enriched with zinc and iron.

Other nutritional factors need to be seen, and if you feel there are any of the above causes then that should be worked upon.

Since its a chronic problem I would advice you to get examined by a dermatologist for proper medications and advice.

I hope this answers your query, I will be available for follow up query if any. I would be happy to answer them.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Dermatologist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor