Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
144 Doctors are Online

How to cure pain during intercourse ?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

General & Family Physician
Practicing since : 1998
Answered : 84 Questions
i am newly married, my husband cannot penetrate into me fully, he either slips out, or feels terrible pain while trying to have intercourse . He feels my vagina is small !! is this the case, or is the problem something else ??

if my vagina is small then what would be a solution to the same , else if the problem is not the vaginal opening being small (which i believe is a diff. situation as the vaginal muscles are supposed to be quite elastic in nature allowing a full baby to be deliver out from there ) then what could be the problem

i used to masturbate till a few years back (about 6-8 yrs back )with sex toys for a span of 3-4 years & have lost my hymen for sure as they used to penetrate XXXXXXX in & before that was involved in masturbation in various normal ways since the time i achieved puberty.

later on there has been a patch in life were i completely lost interest in sex or even stopped masturbation for various emotional reasons !! all feelings if any were usually suppressed by modes of painting or smoking or simply getting involved in working ( i am an architect by profession & an artist by passion )

additionally i was an athlete / swimmer in school/ college life & have been involved in heavy activities all through my life

keeping this in mind now i am totally confused with this situation

i have been smoking now for about 8 yrs
initially for 1st 2 years i smoked about 10 cigarettes a day later on it is been under control & is about 2-4 cigarettes a day
has this rendered me impotent ???

another thing is i & my husband have a long distance relation, we XXXXXXX once in 2 months or so, hence our sexual relation is very limited..

is the long distance relation causing anxiety as we are into an arranged marriage & are ourselves a little unknown to each other ..our relation is about 4 months old & we have met just twice...the time spent together is very limited ..
for all i know myself , for me relations get mental first & then physical
but to keep to my husbands expectations i try my level best to give in..but in vain..
the worst was in the first attempt i went completely dry & this time i was a little wet but he could not penetrate XXXXXXX & it started hurting him

i love my husband extremely but may be my body is not responding , could this be a possibility. ( i feel so ) what is a solution if this is the case

kindly advice
Posted Sun, 15 Apr 2012 in Sexual Problems
Answered by Dr. Sheetal 1 hour later

Pain during intercourse in men can be due to different reasons.

Phimosis is a condition in which there is difficulty in retracting the foreskin of the penis. This can lead to pain during intercourse.
Some sexually transmitted infections such as herpes can also cause pain during intercourse.
Any trauma resulting from friction due to ill-fitting undergarments or skin conditions such as eczema can also result in painful intercourse.

Pain during intercourse can affect sexual performance and that may be the cause of your husband's inability to penetrate.

I would advise your husband to visit a doctor for a clinical examination to evaluate the cause of the pain.

A woman's vagina is large enough to accommodate the penis. In my opinion, it is unlikely that your vagina is small.

Lastly, it is not uncommon for newly married couples to experience some difficulty during intercourse even when there is no physical problem. Using a good lubricant during intercourse may help.

Hope I have answered your query. I will be available if you have any further queries.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Follow-up: How to cure pain during intercourse ? 3 hours later
i would like you to advice me some lubricant which could help us resolve this issue.

Answered by Dr. Sheetal 59 minutes later

You can try KY Jelly or Lubrin vaginal lubricating inserts. These are available over-the-counter at most medical stores.

Wish you good health.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Follow-up: How to cure pain during intercourse ? 5 hours later
the possibility of my husband having pain during intercourse are as u mentioned his medical condition of Phimosis or Some sexually transmitted infections such as herpes or Any trauma resulting from friction due to ill-fitting undergarments or skin conditions such as eczema ,

but as per my knowledge he could have this pain in case if i have some kind of fungal infection like thrush ,

is this true.. ??
the symptoms on thrush like

* vulval itching, soreness and irritation
* vaginal discharge, often white (like cottage cheese) and this can be thick or thin but is usually odourless
* pain or discomfort during sex or when passing urine.

seem to be true in my case..sometimes..!!
so does it mean i have a fungal infection & i need to show to a doctor,
would a gynecologist be of help to me ?


Answered by Dr. Sheetal 48 minutes later

Vulvovaginal candidiasis (thrush) can cause symptoms such as vulval itching, soreness, irritation, white vaginal discharge, pain during intercourse or while passing urine. Some other sexually transmitted infections may also cause similar symptoms. If you are experiencing any of these symptoms, you should definitely see a gynecologist. He/she may take a vaginal swab for microbiological examination. Depending on the test results, you may need to take appropriate antibiotic treatment.

If you are diagnosed as having vulvovaginal candidiasis, it is possible that your husband may be experiencing pain during intercourse due to candida infection as well. He will also need to take appropriate antibiotics to treat the infection.

Wish you both good health.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Topics

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Psychiatrist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor