How to cure mild degree PIVD L5-S1?

Dr. K. Naga Ravi Prasad

Orthopaedic Surgeon, Joint Replacement

Posted on Mon, 25 Nov 2013 in Back Pain
Question: how to cure "Mild degree P.I.D in between L-5/S-1 with early O.A changes in the Lumbo sacral vertebrae" waiting for advice
Answered by Dr. K. Naga Ravi Prasad 19 minutes later
Brief Answer: Treatment of your condition is Conservative. Detailed Answer: Hi, thanks for writing to XXXXXXX The effective management of a mild degree PIVD L5-S1 is only Conservative (non surgical means). The initial management of your problem will be as follows - - Maintain optimum body weight,if you are obese - Avoid journeys on a two wheeler, while on bumpy roads as sudden jerks may cause more disc material to bulge into the spinal canal and cause compression - Avoid lifting heavy weights as it imparts more strain on your back - Avoid excessive forward bending activities as it will worsen the disc protrusion. if you want to bend forwards, do it with your hips and knees flexed - Use a lumbo-sacral back support to stabilize your spinal muscles - Intermittent pelvic traction might be helpful to cause a regression of the protruded disc - Physiotherapy is needed to strengthen your back muscles. Physiotherapy has to be done, only after the acute pain has subsided. - Use analgesics and muscle relaxants as needed. Vitamin B12 supplements (methylcobalamine) & Pregabalin may be helpful. Hope I have addressed your query. Happy to help further Regards
Follow up: Dr. K. Naga Ravi Prasad 4 hours later
which tablets have these two combinations like methylcobalamine and pregabalin. Can i get fruitful result with using tab.a to z/neurobion/cobadex/polybion etc.
Answered by Dr. K. Naga Ravi Prasad 23 minutes later
Brief Answer: Numerous combinations are available. Detailed Answer: Hi, Nice to hear from you. There are numerous brands available with Methylcobalamine & pregabalin combinations. A few of them are PREGALIN X SR, MAXGALIN M, PREGAMET, PREGABA M etc. Both Methyl cobalamine & Pregabalin work effectively in controlling the pain of neuropathic origin. These medications have to be taken with the advice of your treating doctor only as the prescription of these medications will be dictated by the clinical symptoms you have. All the medicine brands you mentioned (a to z, neurobion , cobadex and polybion) are multivitamin nutritional supplements and are of no help in making your condition better. Consult an orthopedic surgeon with good reputation in your locality and follow his advice. Good day